[Vision2020] The Genie Is Out Of The Bottle

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 21 01:53:39 PST 2005

Mr. Moffett,

I am not really worried about the nuclear bombs that can be launched at the
US. I am under the impression that we would be able to knock those out of
the sky on the way over here unless launched from Cuba or Canada, or Mexico.
Which I think is unlikely. Although Russia does have subs it could launch
from off the coast, I am not worried about this either. We can not only fire
anti-missile missiles and projectiles at  missiles flying to the US, but we
can also fry the the transistors of the missiles as they pass over the ocean
not allowing them to detonate.

Where my concern is, is someone coming in with a backpack or a suitcase and
detonating it in a big city. How easy it is for a rouge nation to do this?
Would we even know what nation or group did it unless they told us? And what
could we do to those that did it. Could we really get back at a group of 200
nutjob terrorists that set off an A-bomb in a major US city? We are sitting
ducks. There is nowhere to send our military or target to retaliate.

I realize that Pakistan is more worried about India then the United States.
However, nuclear weapons are a psychological weapon more than anything.
India does not know how many nuclear weapons Pakistan has so it would not
know if it gave one to Osama Bin Laudin. Second, could not the billionaire
Bin Laudin not afford to finance his own development of a nuclear weapon
using the resources of a friendly Pakistani government that has that
technology? Further, if Bin Laudin is in fact dying, would he not being
willing to give up a significant percentage of his wealth to complete such a
task?

Is it not also possible that Afghanistan could get more nuclear weapons from
nations it gave the technology to, such as Iran or North Korea, as part of
the payment?

I think an unstable Pakistan is a frightening thing considering their
dislike of the US, friends with UBL, and willingness to work with and sell
technology to nations that dislike the US and wish us harm.

Terrorism is about psychological warfare mostly. If UBL is to attack again,
they are going to hit us a lot bigger then before. They will not do
something like setting off firecrackers at a gas stations, we would lose our
fear of them if it was the best they could do. Detonation of  a nuclear bomb
anywhere inside the US, and fear would be immeasurable, and the US, even
with the largest and most technologically sophisticated military in the
world could not retaliate against an invisible or elusive enemy.

What many people fail to realize is that the United States and Western
Europe has had to fight and deal with terrorism before. And we did win.
During the 1880s and the early part of the 1900s terrorists attacked and
killed many people with bombs, they even assassinated a US President,
William McKinley. There called themselves Anarchists but the rest the world
considered them terrorists, because they set off bombs around world leaders
and innocent people.

Teddy Roosevelt dealt with them in two ways. First, he tried to address
their concerns, like eliminating horrible working conditions and ending
establishing government control over private enterprise. But he also went
after the anarchists for their murderous tactics. He undermined their
support by addressing their causes, but also was merciless in his pursuit of
them.

I think we should do this as well. Address the injustices the US does
against other nations, while going after those like Osama Bin Laudin that
finance the murder of thousands.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold