[Vision2020] The Genie Is Out Of The Bottle

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Sun Mar 20 19:12:13 PST 2005

Donovan et. al.

Donovan wrote:

"Am I just being paranoid thinking that pro-UBL Pakistanis would give nuclear

weapons to UBL to use against the US and/or that Bush has everything under
control?"

Maybe paranoid, but a world with nuclear weapons is by definition a paranoid
world.  Anyone who isn't paranoid with large numbers of nuclear weapons that
can be launched and delivered to their targets in an hour or two needs to
become paranoid.  The strategy of MAD (mutually assured destruction) is just that,
MAD, yet it is the theoretical foundation of US nuclear policy between Russia
and the USA.  People forget that the cold war nuclear standoff that was
between the Soviet Union and the USA is now between Russia and the USA.  We are
still only hours away from a massive nuclear war.  Tensions are reduced between
the USA and Russia, but massive nuclear attack systems are still in place and
ready to go with fingers on the buttons ... the unthinkable is still a
possibility.

Musharaff's hold on power in Pakistan has been tenuous for years.  Their was
an assassination attempt on his life since 9/11 that failed.  If Pakistan had
a takeover by more extreme anti-US elements, Pakistan's nuclear weapons would
become a major risk (as if they are not now already!), but I do not think
Pakistan can deliver nuclear weapons to the USA with its current missile
technology.  Nor do I think they would be inclined to give a nuclear weapon away given
the small number of nuclear weapons they possess, when they need them as a
deterrent against India's nuclear arsenal.  Pakistan is more worried about
Hindu's than they are about us.  Pakistan is no doubt a sponsor of terrorism inside
India, and harbors elements who are very anti-US, but the USA does not worry
about that too much as long as Pakistan plays our game.

It is amazing that the obvious fact that the USA has not pursued Osama Bin
Laden with the full resources possible continues to fly under the radar of
public opinion in the USA.  Some think the USA wants Bin Laden still at large,
though marginalized, to continue the scare tactics against the citizens of the USA
with the War on Terror using Bin Laden as a bogey man.

Anyway, the people of the USA are distracted, so why beat our heads against
"The Wall" trying to inform them?  "The bleeding hearts and artists make their
stand..." goes the song lyrics.

I am more concerned with weapons grade nuclear material that has been "lost"
in the breakdown of the Soviet Union, weapons material that could be used to
build a nuclear weapon.  Or the rumored "suitcase" nuclear weapons that may
have "disappeared" from the former Soviet Union.

It is only a matter of time before some nation or group uses a nuclear weapon
somewhere.

The genie is out of the bottle!

Ted Moffett