[Vision2020] Thought of the Day

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Mar 20 05:55:41 PST 2005

Greetings Visionaires -

For the past few years I have been a subscriber to "Joke of the Day".  For
each day over those few years I would receive a "Thought of the Day" along
with the humor.

The Thought of the Day that I received this morning I thought was quite
interesting and thought that I would share it with you.

>From Rex Barker, writer of the Daily "Thought of the Day" -

I have always dreaded old age. I cannot imagine anything worse than being
old... How awful it must be to have nothing to do all day long but stare at
the walls or watch TV.

So last week, when the President suggested we all celebrate Senior Citizen
Week by cheering up a senior citizen, I decided to do just that. I would
call on my new neighbor, an elderly retired gentleman, recently widowed, and
who, I presumed, had moved in with his married daughter because he was too
old to take care of himself.

I baked a batch of cookies, and, without bothering to call (some old people
cannot hear the phone), I went off to brighten this old guy's day. When I
rang the doorbell this "old guy" came to the door dressed in tennis shorts
and a polo shirt, looking about as ancient and decrepit as Donny Osmond.

"I'm sorry I can't invite you in," he said when I introduced myself, "but
I'm due at the Racquet Club at two. I'm playing in the semifinals today."

"Oh that's all right," I said. "I baked you some cookies..."

"Great!" he interrupted, snatching the box. "Just what I need for bridge
club tomorrow! Thanks so much!" I continued, "...and just thought we'd visit
a while. But that's okay! I'll just trot across the street and call on
Granny Grady."

"Don't bother," he said. "Gran's not home; I know. I just called to remind
her of our date to go dancing tonight. She may be at the beauty shop. She
mentioned at breakfast (at which house??!) that she had an appointment for a
tint job."

So I went home and called my Mother's cousin (age 83); she was in the
hospital ... working in the gift shop.

I called my aunt (age 74)... but she was on vacation in China.

I called my husband's uncle (age 79). I forgot... he was on his honeymoon.

So now I dread old age more than ever...I just don't think I'm up to it.

This is Rex Barker C.S. (Cheering on Seniors) reminded that it's not the
years in your life that counts...it's the life in your years!

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen

"What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they
are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say
about their cause, but what they say about their opponents."

-- Robert F. Kennedy