[Vision2020] "Leftist" Misused Term

tbertruss at aol.com tbertruss at aol.com
Fri Mar 18 14:33:47 PST 2005

Kai et. al.

Kai wrote:

"The law school has left leaning Supreme Court justices visit each year..."

The current usage of the words "left" or "leftist," when used to describe a political orientation, have become so emotionally charged and used with such careless abandon by those who seek to denigrate anyone who is labeled as such, it seems the words have lost any clear and precise meaning.

I do not think it is accurate to describe any of the current US Supreme Court justices as "left leaning," unless the weak use of the word "left" is employed, in which case most Republican's could also be accurately termed "left leaning."  I do not think this is the use of the word you had in mind.

The weak definition of the phrase "left wing" is offered below with a source given.  It merely means to "support varying degrees of political or economic change designed to promote the public welfare," a description that would apply to many Republicans who want to maintain and secure access by US citizens to Medicare and Social Security, for example.

When we use the strong sense of the term "leftist" we find, as is shown below again with a source, that a synonym is "collectivist," someone who supports "ownership and control of the means of production and distribution by the people..."  In other words, Leftists would be jumping for joy to see Exxon/Mobil nationalized, etc.  None of the current US Supreme Court justices fall into this category.

I assume as a writer and journalist you want to use words with precision, not just to push buttons with emotionally charged labels that are not accurate.

Definitions used above given below:

left wing
n : those who support varying degrees of social or political or economic change designed to promote the public welfare [syn: left]

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

leftist
adj : believing in or supporting tenets of the political left [syn: left-of-center, left-wing] n : a person who belongs to the political left [syn: collectivist, left-winger]

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

col·lec·tiv·ism    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (k-lkt-vzm)
n.
The principles or system of ownership and control of the means of production and distribution by the people collectively, usually under the supervision of a government.

col·lectiv·ist n.
col·lectiv·istic adj.
col·lectiv·isti·cal·ly adv.

[Download or Buy Now]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

V2020 Post by Ted Moffett