[Vision2020] What in the world?

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Wed Mar 16 16:55:29 PST 2005

Saundra wrote:

 Indeed, *making money* off hate speech seems to be the antithesis of the UI's mission and is certainly a
HUGE slap in the face to the taxpayers.

Should the insensitivity to taxpayers and minorities by the UI be such a big surprise?

Memories are short!  Just last year the Moscow Chamber of Commerce presented the community with two large indignities in which the UI openly and enthusiastically participated:

1.    The infamous presentation by Christ Church Cult Member Paul Kimmell to the Moscow Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors advocating that racist/traitor Robert E. Lee be the leader members of the board should emulate.  This presentation included much racist/traitorous material including the placing the Confederate and American Flags side by side with the Confederate Flag placed first.

Board members and UI representatives to the chamber Bob Hieronymus (UI Director of Communications and Marketing)  and Thomas McCann (UI Kibbie Dome Manager) raised no objection during the presentation and made no public apology afterward.  When I emailed McGann about this matter, the one below, and other chamber matters, he requested that I not send him any emails, that he was not interested in my opinion since I was not a chamber member, and eventually blocked my emails to him despite the fact that the UI uses taxpayer money to support the chamber.  [Our private donations to the UI are carefully earmarked so that this kind of malfeasance does not occur.]

2.    Both Hieronymus and McGann allowed without comment Kimmell to hire a procession of chamber employees, including Kimmell's wife, whose only qualification seemed to be membership in the Christ Church Cult.  The same occurred with much chamber contracting practices.

By law UI is an equal opportunity institution, yet here we have two high ranking UI staff not only countenancing very discriminatory hiring practices, but using taxpayer provided monies via the UI dues to the chamber to do so -- again with no public apology.

Such sanctioned actions by UI high ranking staff not only undercut efforts to promote a more diverse student body, staff, and faculty but also make athletic recruitment (like the past "lynching" incident) more difficult.

Perhaps this hate convention, insultingly misnomered as the "Trinity Festival" slipped by President White because of his newness to the area and his unfortunate health problems.

He now still has time to review this matter and decide whether this use of UI facilities meets Board of Education Policies (as Saundra has referenced below).

Recently a ranking UI staffer was fired for providing a church with UI resources.  If the same is found to have occurred with Hieronymus and McGann, than fairness and consistency dictates the same fate.  In the meantime, both Hieronymus and McGann should be immediately replaced as the UI representatives to the chamber with persons more racially and diversity sensitive (and more fiscally knowledgeable and more receptive to listening to community opinion).

Wayne A. Fox
1009 Karen Lane
PO Box 9421
Moscow, ID  83843