[Vision2020] Equal Protection arguments and judicial activism

David M. Budge dave at davebudge.com
Tue Mar 15 03:47:25 PST 2005

Wayne, Joan, et. al.

Let me preface my argument by making sure that everyone clearly
understands my position.  My argument is not about minority rights but
legislative and judicial process.  I am against both the death penalty
and the Federal Marriage Amendment as well as the constitutional
amendments of the 13 states that now hold that marriage is between one
man and one woman - such as here in Montana. These 13 constitutional
amendments are the "blowback" to which I refer.  I'll address that
later.  Recall also, that I said that decree by judicial fiat was "bad
government" and I did not, nor do I now contend that it is wholly
inappropriate.  It does have a critical place in the promulgation of law.

The ruling that the San Francisco judge made was based on the the
rationale of Brown v the Board of Education where the judge specifically
stated that the California statute explicitly violated the "serarate but
equal" standard disallowed under the 14th Amendment via precedent.  The
State of California argued that California's domestic partnership laws
were explicit in equality of marriage rights hence there was no
discrimination.  All rights being otherwise the same, the judge falls
into the matter of semantics.

The judicial use of both the Due Process clause and the Equal Protection
clause have been used, as Joan noted, to reconstruct state laws and the
constitution in ways that are antithetical to the construct of morality
and democracy - as in what happened in Bush V Gore.  Morality, as we all
know, is both subjective and transient in its definition.  Hence, the
arguments about polygamy and sodomy are relevant and at core to the
conversation.  Understanding that there are those who feel that
homosexuality is immoral, under a democratic system we must allow that
precept while not accepting it - else we lose the foundations of civil
construct to nihilism.  So it serves us to discuss judicial activism in
a broader context.

One must needs also remember that judicial precedent is not in a vacuum
and the interpretations of one case affects another.  In the case last
year, Lawrence V. Texas, where the Supreme Court (SCOTUS) struck down
the texas sodomy laws, Justice Kennedy use the 14th Amendment as the
primacy of his majority opinion.  This gets a little confusing because
of the notion of what lawyers call "assumptive due process."  This is
the legal concept that means that some things are so apparent that the
the arguments of due process or lack thereof are not necessary in
judicial arguments.  From this we have had achieved the extra
constitutional "right" of privacy in a measured degree.  As in Lawrence
v Kansas, Justice Kennedy inferred the right to privacy from cases such
as Roe v Wade.  But their is no mention of "privacy" per se in the
Constitution.  Kennedy went one step further in his opinion stating that:

"The case does involve two adults who, with full and mutual consent from
each other, engaged in sexual practices common to a homosexual
lifestyle. The petitioners are entitled to respect for their private
lives.  The State cannot demand their existence or control their destiny
by making their private sexual conduct a crime.  Their right to liberty
to engage in the Due Process Clause gives them a full right to engage in
their conduct without intervention of the government. 'It is a promise
of the Constitution that there is a realm of personal liberty which the
government may not enter." Casey, supra, at 847.  The Texas statute
furthers no legitimate state interest which can justify its intrusion
into the personal and private life of the individual.

Had those who drew and ratified the Due Process Clause of the Fifth
Amendment or the Fourteenth Amendment known the components of liberty in
its manifold possibilities, they might have been more specific.  They
did not presume to have this insight.  They know times can blind us to
certain truths and later generation scan see that laws once thought
necessary and proper in fact only serve to oppress.  As the Constitution
endures, persons in every generation can invoke its principals in their
own search for greater freedom."

These are powerful words, but their implications are not in what they
say but what they don't say.  In his dissent, Justice Scalia writes:

"The Texas statue undeniably seeks to further the belief of its citizens
that certain forms of sexual behavior are 'immoral and unacceptable."
Browers, supra, at 196 - the same interest furthered by criminal laws
against fornication, bigamy, adultery, adult incest, bestiality, and
obscenity.  Browers held that this was a legitimate state interest.  The
Court today reaches the opposite conclusion.  The Texas statute, it
says, "furthers no legitimate state interest which can justify its
intrusion into the personal and private life of and individual,' ante,
at 18 (emphasis added.) The Court embraces instead JUSTICE STEVENS
declaration in his Browers dissent, that 'the fact that the governing
majority in a State has traditionally viewed a particular practice as
immoral is not sufficient reason for upholding a law prohibiting the
practice," ante, at 17.  This effectively decrees the end to all morals
legislation.  If, as the Court asserts, the promotion of the
majoritarian sexual morality is not even a legitimate state interest,
none of the above mentioned laws can survive rational-basis review."

Thus the issue of morality in sexual practices becomes now integral to
the interpretation of both the Due Process Clause and the Equal
Protection Clause.  In the greater sense of "morality" then so does the
issue of gay marriage.  Therefor, under precedence, the SCOTUS has left
open the door for equal protection of bigamy, adult incest, etc.  This
is the argument to which I protest.  Under the Court's interpretation,
all laws on sexual morality are now subject to review.  Wayne's argument
that equal protection applies to homosexual marriage because marriage is
a legal contract is not true.  The California statue explicitly states
that it is not.  However, Kennedy et al, now call into question the role
of the majority in all situations where morality is a question in the
public debate.

Wayne is right to the extent that it appears that the SCOTUS will
eventually make gay marriage ordained as legitimate by judicial fiat
under the 14th Amendment.  I agree with that outcome.  What is happening
though is states, fearful of judicial activism, are amending their
constitutions. Thirteen have done this so far and several more,
including California, have such referenda in the works.  Again, the
blowback from judicial activism may ultimately cause a change in the
U.S. Constitution that will make the goal of equal marriage protection
for gays impossible.  That, if you were paying attention, was my initial
objection to the California court ruling.  Had the Massachusetts court
not made its activist decree last year, the natural evolution of law
accepting the rights of gays would have proceeded without so much
gnashing of teeth.  Ultimately, such activism is deleterious to the
evolution of liberty and democracy.

But such judicial activism is not a limited to liberal causes.  Take for
example Bush v Gore.  An activist court in effect stopped what was an
issue for Florida to decide per the Constitution.  The court was correct
that the Florida Supreme Court had overstepped its jurisdiction by
overturning laws that the citizens of Florida had made law. The SCOTUS,
however, went too far by asserting its power and ending the "due
process" to which Florida citizens were entitled.  The entire matter
would have been solved by Congress had it taken its course.  There are
other cases decided by SCOTUS that put limits on tort awards.  This is
decidedly bad from a constitutional perspective and very much
pro-conservative.  So, as I admonished the courts for activism, I do not
do it from the standpoint of liberal v conservative.  And to my
detractors I say that I propose that it is better to have these things
solved in a democratic forum of law making rather than in the courts.
That, however, is impracticable on some issues.  Therefor I say it's
preferable but not always correct, such as in instances of racial
discrimination.

I fear, however, that in this case it will cause harm to my objectives
in the long run and comes under the heading of "unintended consequences."

db