[Vision2020] Re: Budget problems in Washington State

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Mar 11 14:51:03 PST 2005

Dense (as suggested by Fiat Lux, "Call me dense . . . ") stated:

"But neither am I foolish enough to think that the logical solution for the
less fortunate or throw-away kids who don't have decent parents is to expect
the public school system to act as a surrogate parent.   Burdening the
educational system with the job of the parents is not the answer.  There are
better ways to address the needs of such children.  I do not have all the
answers.  Though demanding more parental involvement and accountability
seems like a reasonable place to start."

Your argument does not make sense, Dense.  As you remember, my statement was
that students must be provided an academic atmosphere in which they do not
feel threatened by virtue of their gender, race, color, sexual orientation,
etc. etc.

Are you suggesting that those students who do feel threatened by virtue of
their gender, race, color, and sexual orientation are " . . . less fortunate
or throw-away kids who don't have decent parents?"  Is your suggested
recommendation for " . . . demanding more parental involvement and
accountability" of these threatened students?

I am glad, however that you do admit that you do not have all the answers.
Perhaps further research would be a good place for you to start.

May I suggest (for starters) watching "The Laramie Project".  I believe that
you will find it most enlightening, unless you consider the murder of that
Wyoming student to be the result of poor parenting.

Wake up and take care, Moscow.

Tom "I'm straight, but I'm not narrow" Hansen
Moscow, Idaho

We could learn a lot from crayons: some are sharp, some are pretty, some are
dull, some have weird names, and all are different colors....but they all
exist very nicely in the same box.