[Vision2020]Re: Budget problems in Washington State

Fiat Lux fiat_lx at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 16:59:40 PST 2005

You realize, Mr. Jones, in posing this question you
risk being labeled and summarily dismissed as a
homophobic bigot.

It does look like WSU Counseling Services is hosting
an exclusive social club/discussion group.  If I read
the invitation correctly, it is open only to faculty
and staff who identify as being members of the GLBT
community.  Such groups are not unheard of at
universities.  Both UW and USC have rather
well-organized support groups for the GLBT
constituency, staff and students alike.  I would be
very curious to know just how much state funding is
used for groups like this.  I wonder if the ACLU is a
sponsor?  I also  wonder if equal funding is allocated
specifically for a support group addressing similar
issues for those faculty and staff  who identify as
being members of the non GLBT community.

I question the necessity of such groups because, from
what I have seen, most folks that can hold down a job
are also capable of making their own contacts and
having friends and acquaintances with whom they can
discuss "current questions, concerns, and joys"?
There are all sorts of ways to meet people.  I have
made plenty of friends, all without the help of a
support group.

I noticed the announcement mentions that the group is
"currently running and seeking new members".  Maybe
the group is floundering.  I wonder if Counseling
Services ever audits its programs and eliminates the
ones that do not generate enough interest or
participation to warrant the expense.

Lots of folks question or go through tough times in
life.  Some people choose one on one counseling
sessions with a licensed therapist or psychologist to
help to sort out any confusion, uncertainty or other
concerns about their sexuality, drug use, family of
origin, or other life issues-there are so many.  Could
there be some inadequacy in WSU employees health
insurance coverage that would not allow them to pursue
this route?

Finally, Mr. Jones, many folks question their
orientation.  If you are unsure of your own
orientation and find yourself  wavering between
blondes or redheads, perhaps it is because you have
never tried a brunette.  Explore.

Sure of my sexual orientation and
content in my committed relationship,

Fiat Lux