[Vision2020] Wal-Mart Supercenter Opposition

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Mar 10 14:28:31 PST 2005

Donovan Arnold stated:

" . . . I am all in favor of a Wal-Mart Super Center. In fact, I am looking
forward to it and I am waiting in great anticipation for it to be built.

I do not buy most the arguments against Wal-Mart. All of them really turn
out to be untrue or could be applied to any chain store. Wal-Mart does not
wipe out small mom and pop stores, it wipes out other chains like K-Mart,
Shop-Co, and Walgreens. I find the stuff sold by local merchants is not the
same stuff Wal-Mart offers. Wal_mart does not sell quality shoes, quality
vacuums, quality furniture, quality clothes, or quality anything really. It
sells cheap generic plastic stuff made in mass quantity. It sells stuff you
do not want to invest heavily in or cannot afford to invest heavily in. If I

am looking for an eloquent watch, I do not go to Wal_mart. If I am looking
for a watch to take camping, I go to Wal_Mart. If I want a white t-shirt,
and only got $6, I go to Wal-Mart. If I have $50 and I am looking for a nice

warm quality sweater I do not go to Wal-Mart."

So . . . what you are saying, Mr. Arnold, is that you eagerly await the
opening of a major retail outlet that provides sub-quality products while
paying its employees less than a livable wage?  And yet you consider
yourself to be a "liberal activist"?

I am certainly glad that you don't sit on the Latah Economic Development
Council.

Take care, Moscow (while your health still allows it).

Tom Hansen

We could learn a lot from crayons: some are sharp, some are pretty, some are
dull, some have weird names, and all are different colors....but they all
exist very nicely in the same box.