[Vision2020] Wal-Mart Supercenter Opposition

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 10 14:09:04 PST 2005

Robbie,

This email will probably shock my liberal cohorts, but I am all in favor of
a Wal-Mart Super Center. In fact, I am looking forward to it and I am
waiting in great anticipation for it to be built.

I do not buy most the arguments against Wal-Mart. All of them really turn
out to be untrue or could be applied to any chain store. Wal-Mart does not
wipe out small mom and pop stores, it wipes out other chains like K-Mart,
Shop-Co, and Walgreens. I find the stuff sold by local merchants is not the
same stuff Wal-Mart offers. Wal_mart does not sell quality shoes, quality
vacuums, quality furniture, quality clothes, or quality anything really. It
sells cheap generic plastic stuff made in mass quantity. It sells stuff you
do not want to invest heavily in or cannot afford to invest heavily in. If I
am looking for an eloquent watch, I do not go to Wal_mart. If I am looking
for a watch to take camping, I go to Wal_Mart. If I want a white t-shirt,
and only got $6, I go to Wal-Mart. If I have $50 and I am looking for a nice
warm quality sweater I do not go to Wal-Mart.

I probably will not frequent the Super Center, just go once in a while,
especially if the other Wal-Mart here stays around. But I reap the benefits
if it forces the large companies like Hastings, Les Schwab, and Office Depot
to lower their prices. But my biggest hope is that it will force Win-Co to
start taking debt cards. I have to go to other stores when I am out and
about because I do not carry cash or checks on me. If they took debt cards,
or credit cards, like all other stores in the 21st century, that would save
me some money. I would imagine if the Super Center sells food for less than
Win-Co, it would steal business if it also took debt cards. But other than
this, I am happy with the way the way things are with WinCo and Walmart in
Moscow.

Finally, people complain about what Wal-Mart pays their employees. If this
is the case, they should be pleased with the opening of Wal-Mart in Pullman
which has a higher minimum wage. If places that service the poor service
Wal-Mart employees more frequently than others it could just as likely be
that Wal-Mart is more likely to higher the disabled and those not other wise
employable. Which can say something just as good about the company as bad. I
know that Wal-Mart does hire a large number of people with disabilities. But
I also think it also only does it for image rather than providing them with
quality jobs.

There are many things that Wal-Mart needs to change about their behavior, as
do all businesses. One of them, is as Saundra Lund pointed out, Wal-Mart is
often out of stock on regular items. This will be a big negative in a
grocery store when people like to eat the same things every week.  That is
why I stopped buying food from this Wal_Mart. I got tired of the same food
not being there. So I just quiet food shopping there. I like to eat the same
things. If a store only has my can of soda every other time, I am not going
to go there, I will go to the other store that always has it when I shop,
even if it is a little more.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold