[Vision2020] Wal-Mart Supercenter Opposition

Janice Willard jwillard at turbonet.com
Thu Mar 10 13:19:36 PST 2005

Hi,
I find it interesting that the employees of the Moscow Wal-mart are being
told that their jobs are not in danger if a Pullman Wal-mart Supercenter
opened.  I find that very hard to believe--just look at Tidyman's, which
closed precipitously and essentially hung a lot of loyal, hard-working
employees out to dry.  Consideration of the needs of individual employees is
not really a high concern for major corporations.  So I think it is rather
disingenuous for the management to be saying that.  Looking at it logically,
what possible benefit would there be to keeping the Moscow store open so
close to the larger Pullman store? (But of course, they are the Great
Corporation of Wal-Mart and if they break their promises a little way down
the road, what are any of us to do about it?  Have they ever broken promises
before?)

Can anyone verify the rumor that I have heard, that if a Pullman Wal-mart
Supercenter were to open, we would lose Win-co grocery store also?  I have
heard it said that Win-co management has said they will not try to compete
with a nearby Wal-mart supercenter and would pull up stakes and leave.  This
is of concern to me because of the population that Win-co serves.  A lot of
the shoppers in Win-co are lower income and it seems to be a high population
of university students and foreign students.  Win-co has done a very good
job of stocking "ethnic" foods and so these foreign students have a place
they can go which is close to campus and married student housing and stocks
some familiar things to eat and cook with. Many of them don't have cars (or
don't drive well, coming from another country), so it is important to have a
grocery store on this end of town that can serve this vital population.  If
Win-co closed, some of the customers would be absorbed into other Moscow
grocery stores while a portion would commute to Pullman for the lower
prices--increasing the traffic on the already dangerous and overcrowded
Moscow Pullman highway (slated for widening, but not accomplished yet),
burning more gas. And taking additional business away from Moscow.

So I strongly suspect that the Moscow Wal-Mart would close, leaving those
employees high and dry (or needing to commute to Pullman) and we might lose
Win-co as well--if someone can verify this information.  Then there are all
the businesses in Pullman that would lose out because of competition with
this mega-corp.

 It doesn't sound like a good plan for either community.

But what good will signing a petition drive do--do they even care if some
townspeople don't want their store? Has public opinion ever stopped them
before?  Aren't we just gnats before the machine?  How often has a town
actually been successful in preventing encroachment by a Wal-mart and what
were their successful strategies?

JW