[Vision2020] Wal-Mart Supercenter Opposition

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Thu Mar 10 10:33:35 PST 2005

(Sorry if this shows up twice -- I originally sent it 3+ hours ago and it
seems to have disappeared into cyber-space as it's still not shown up in the
V2020 archives as of 10:33 AM.)

Hi,

Thanks for the opportunity to discuss this  :-)  And, thanks for your honest
disclosure that you work for Wal-Mart.

Since you've asked the questions, I'll answer them.  I'll preface my remarks
by saying that on the Wal-Mart issue, I consider myself to be kind of an
averagely (is that even a word?) informed *Moscow* resident.  I know there
are a fair number of Moscow folks who know more about the issues than I, and
I know there area also a fair number who know less about it.  So, I think
I'm average  :-)

I'll also disclose that I'm currently boycotting Wal-Mart, but *not* because
of the Super Center issue.  I was absolutely horrified at the cat killing
(NOT local -- I think maybe it was in MI) that hit the national news shortly
after Christmas, and that's not the first report of animal abuse/cruelty
I've read associated with Wal-Mart  :-(  Those allegedly involved (I believe
there were at least three management-level employees) were facing (felony)
criminal charges but hadn't been fired yet.  So, I wrote the national
headquarters expressing my concerns and explained that I'd be boycotting
Wal-Mart until the employees were fired *and* Wal-Mart took steps to educate
their employees that animal cruelty by employees at any level wouldn't be
tolerated.

I never received a response . . . so I'm still boycotting.  LOL -- not that
Wal-Mart cares, but . . .

I understand that the "official" line is that the Moscow store will remain
open even with a Super Center in Pullman.  Frankly, I don't believe it:  I
do not believe this area can support two Wal-Marts, particularly when one
will be a Super Center.

And, whether I shop there or not, I believe now that Moscow has lost some
smaller stores, Wal-Mart is important to Moscow's economy, tax base, etc.  I
believe that closure of the Moscow store (which I believe would be
inevitable should a Super Center open in Pullman) would hurt the Moscow
community.

Yes, I agree with you that if a Super Center opens in Pullman, the tax
money, convenience, etc for Pullman would be good.  But, at what cost?  How
many smaller businesses would Pullman lose?

I was not in favor of Wal-Mart coming to Moscow although I didn't actively
oppose it.  And, Moscow has lost a number of smaller locally owned stores --
I don't know how many were due directly to Wal-Mart, but I do know that
Wal-Mart was a contributing factor in the death of a few local businesses.
Personally, I'd prefer to shop at five locally owned smaller businesses than
I would at one Wal-Mart, convenience be d*mned.

So, as a Moscow resident, I don't want a Super Center in Pullman because I
think it will be the beginning of the end for the Moscow Wal-Mart.

And, if I was a Pullman resident, I wouldn't want a Super Center because of
the harmful effect it will undoubtedly have on existing local businesses.
I'd have other objections, too, but that would be the deal-breaker for me.

I want to add, though, that when I did shop at the Moscow Wal-Mart, I found
the employees to be good.  I *hated* having to go to Wal-Mart because it was
always frustrating -- it seemed like 1/4 of the stuff on my long list was
out-of-stock (or had suddenly stopped being stocked), but that wasn't the
employees' fault.  As a consumer, I guess the thing I *liked* about shopping
at Wal-Mart was the employees (except in Electronics where if you needed a
case unlocked, it often took an act of God to find someone --- grrr!).

So, I don't want my comments in *any way* to reflect negatively on the local
people who work at Wal-Mart.

I'm curious to see what others have to write, so thanks again for asking the
questions!

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.