[Vision2020] Wal-Mart Supercenter Opposition

Tim Lohrmann timlohr at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 9 10:18:48 PST 2005

Visionaries,
All those interested in working to oppose the proposed Wal-Mart Supercenter in Pullman are encouraged to attend the weekly meetings of PARD -- Pullman Alliance for Responsible Development.
One need not live in Pullman to participate.
We welcome members from the greater Palouse community.
We have active members from Moscow, Colfax, Uniontown, and other places nearby, although the large majority are from Pullman.

Meetings are every Thursday at the Community Congregational Church UCC Meeting Room, 525 NE Campus in Pullman (two blocks from WSU).
Please consult our website at http://pullman-ard.com for further information and directions to the church.

Monetary contributions are welcome.
We are a registered non-profit organization.
Please send donations to:

Pullman Alliance for Responsible Development
PO Box 641
Pullman, WA 99163

We have retained professional legal assistance, but remember we are going up against the largest single business in the United States.
It is not going to be an easy battle to slay this Goliath.
It's going to cost us all some money.
All proceeds will go toward our efforts to defeat the the Wal-Mart proposal and any related work toward responsible development in Pullman.

We are circulating a boycott petition that states:  "I do hereby pledge that I will not shop at or work for Wal-Mart if they establish a store in Pullman."

Petition canvassing has been going on in the following establishments:
(Moscow) Bookpeople, Moscow Food Coop,
(Pullman) Brused Books, Dissmores, HyperSpud Sports, Les Schwab Tires, Rite Aid, and Safeway.

 If you would like to sign the petition but have not had a chance, it is also downloadable on our website.
Search the site for "mail-in petition."
Simply fill out the petition and mail it to our post office box listed above.

Do you need to be a Pullman resident to sign the petition?
No!  Anyone who could potentially be a shopper at the Pullman Wal-Mart can sign.

Do you need to be a voter to sign?
No!  It is a consumer petition.

A special note to our friends in Moscow and nearby communities:
 Defeating the Pullman Wal-Mart project is in your interest too.

 Do you seriously think that Wal-Mart will keep its Moscow store open if they build an even bigger one in Pullman (proposed 223,000 sq. ft.)?

 And if the Moscow store closes, it is likely Wal-Mart will keep the building empty for several years to prevent any competition from moving in and for a tax write-off.

http://mail.yahoo.com