[Vision2020] LEDC Board

Janice Willard jwillard at turbonet.com
Wed Mar 9 09:46:01 PST 2005

Hi Barbara,
Which brings me back to my original question--what is being done to bring in
more representation from other parts of Latah county?  The announcement of
these board openings were only posted to V2020 two days before the openings
closed.  What was done to spread the word in the rural communities?

The bulk of the population is in Moscow, which is a correct observation. A
bulk of the land, though is in the county, and there is a long standing
rural tradition. Development decisions by those in the cities can have a
dramatic negative impact on the ability of people in the country to maintain
their economic base.  If the goal of the Council is to support economic
development in all of Latah county, shouldn't the needs of the
resource-based economies and ways to mesh the needs be brought to the table?
Or are their needs and opinions being swept under that table, perhaps?  You
say that the resource-based economies of the rural communities have been
declining, what is being done to bolster this and assist people in these
communities and with resource based economies to thrive?  Doesn't that
observation alone tell you that this is where you need to focus some of your
energies if this county and the people in it are going to thrive?

So could you please tell me how you have advertised these upcoming board
openings in the entire county and what you have done to increase the
representation of the resource based economies and rural communities in this
organization?  Did you contact resource based organizations and ask them for
their representation?

What I am trying to ascertain here is whether this organization is truly
representing the best interests of the entire county, as implied by its
title.  Or is it simply an organization where "white collar only" need
apply.  Hopefully you will be able to show me your recent efforts to contact
all the rural communities and resource based organizations with your
invitations to run for this board and that they got this invitation long
before the 11th hour announcement here in V2020.

Economic development doesn't need to be at the expense of the rural,
resource based economy.  *Good* economic planning can assist the rural
people to stay in sustainable resource based jobs.  But that first requires
a commitment to see their needs as valid and beneficial.  And they need to
be part of the process. What I am trying to determine is whether  the LEDC
is motivated or even capable of doing this.

JW