[Vision2020] Keeping Families Together Act

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Thu Mar 3 19:17:24 PST 2005

Visionaries:

As I posted last week, there is an appalling lack of resources for children
afflicted by neurobiological disorders including mental illnesses.  One of
the consequences of this lack of resources is that horrifying numbers of
kids are given up by their families.  It's a truly heartbreaking situation
for those involved, and it's a burden on taxpayers who wind up footing the
entire bill for the care and raising of these kids.

For those who care, here's a chance to make your voice heard:
"Keeping Families Together Act

Every year, many thousands of children in this country are relinquished to
the child welfare or juvenile justice systems in their states because their
families have no other way to obtain mental health services for their
children. The Keeping Families Together Act will establish a $55 million
grant program to the states to help end the practice of custody
relinquishment for mental health treatment."

I implore everyone who cares to contact our legislators and urge them to
co-sponsor this legislation to help preserve families:

Senator Larry Craig
520 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington DC 20510
(202) 224-2752