[Vision2020] Naylor Farms

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Thu Mar 3 10:18:35 PST 2005

Here is the letter to which Carl referred.  Bruce Livingston

>From yesterday's "Letters" section in the Moscow Pullman Daily News:
County has too much to lose

I must reply to Barbara Crouch's editorial comment "Latah County development
at a crossroads." (Opinion, Feb. 19 & 20). Indeed Latah County is at a
crossroads, but in my opinion for very different reasons than Crouch lists.
Development unfriendly and anti-business are catchy labels for anyone
opposing what passes for business development in our area and refers to
Naylor Farms as a case in point, leaving off their LLC designation that
reveals a limited liability company, not a family farm. Crouch is afforded
ample space to make her point - I am limited to 300 words.

Crouch, please tell the rest of the story. Tell it to all of Latah County
and get their response to a Canadian mineral company using an unrecognized,
unregistered geologist presenting unproven information to obtain preliminary
approval to mine an enormous amount of water from our aquifer affecting all
Latah County, not just the 500 people in the near vicinity who are fighting
to protect ours and our Latah County neighbors' water rights.

Just how many Latah County people are totally unaware of the imminent danger
to the pastoral lifestyle we so enjoy if Naylor Farms is able to accomplish
the goals they are pursuing under the guise of farming?

Bring us a Schweitzer or a Decagon business - instead of an Alchemy Ventures
masquerading under the new name of Iminerals to impoverish all of Latah
County by pirating our water, polluting our air and ending our pastoral
beauty with an open pit mine. Please don't label beneficial an enterprise
like Naylor Farms whose entrance to our county has been made in secrecy and
subterfuge as an asset to enrich the community, but tell it as it is. If we
become another Butte, Mont., what kind of businesses are likely to locate
here.

Jan Shumway, Moscow