[Vision2020] Naylor Farms

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Thu Mar 3 09:52:26 PST 2005

I applaud the County Commissioners for their attempt to deal with our water
problem, too, Dan.  It appears to be an excellent and creative approach.
Here is the article.
Bruce Livingston

Latah County takes proactive action; Temporary ordinance prohibits clay
washing on 45,000 acres around Moscow

By DAVID JOHNSON
of the Tribune

MOSCOW -- The Latah County commissioners Wednesday adopted an emergency
six-month ordinance aimed at curbing certain land use practices within what
is being called the Moscow Sub-basin Groundwater Management Overlay Zone.

The prohibited uses include natural mineral resource extraction and
processing, confined animal feedlot operations exceeding 200 animal units
and golf courses. Currently, there are no mining or feedlot operations in
the zone. And the only golf course, owned by the Elks Club east of Moscow,
is exempt.

The new zone, which encompasses more than 45,000 acres around Moscow, was
created after more than 450 residents signed a petition calling for a
moratorium on development that might have an impact on groundwater
resources.

The action stems from continuing attempts by representatives of Ralph Naylor
Farms to secure state water rights about five miles north of town,
reportedly for irrigation of farm crops and, to a lesser degree, clay
washing.

After receiving complaints, the Idaho Department of Water Resources is
reassessing an earlier decision to grant the water right. An April 6 public
hearing has been scheduled to take more scientific testimony about
groundwater geology.

In the meantime, the county's emergency ordinance can't stop Naylor Farms
from irrigating crops (if the water right is ultimately granted), but it
would prohibit clay washing.

"I really feel comfortable that we're representing the citizens of the
county," Commissioner Tom Stroschein said during a morning meeting.

While the emergency ordinance isn't intended to trump the state's power over
water rights, it might set a precedent for harnessing the use of a water
right.

"I have no problem having Latah County take the lead in the state," said
Commissioner Paul Kimmell. He, Stroschein and Commission Chairman Jack
Nelson agreed they wanted to insulate the county from a potential legal
challenge. So they opted for language that doesn't directly address water
use -- especially the quantity of water that might be used.

"If we attempt to address irrigated agriculture this will go down in
flames," Kimmell predicted. Stroschein and Nelson agreed.

"Controlling the land use is much different than controlling the water,"
said Michelle Fuson, county planning and zoning director.

The commissioners were lauded by a handful of people attending the meeting,
several of them members of the Protect Our Water (POW) group that
spearheaded the petition effort. No Naylor Farms representatives attended.

The quick passage of the ordinance came after the commissioners first found
that "an imminent peril to public health, safety or welfare exists" because
of the groundwater situation and "the threat of certain proposed land uses."

That kind of declaration, however, has been avoided by other public
officials and some groundwater experts who say the area is faced with a
"water management problem," not a crisis. Almost everyone agrees there's a
lack of conclusive scientific evidence to prove one way or the other.

Naylor Farms spokespersons have said the water source they intend to tap is
completely separate from Moscow's source and much deeper than surrounding
rural wells. They've also repeatedly said they have no intention of
depleting the area's groundwater supply.

State officials have said the water right, which initially sought more water
than the cities of Moscow and Pullman use each year, will eventually be
based on actual use. And that amount, according to officials, is expected to
be significantly less.

Nonetheless, the county commissioners said they are obligated to protect
rural residents who have private wells within the new management overlay
zone. The commission stance comes despite an agreement between Naylor Farms
and the cities of Moscow and Pullman for a protocol designed to ensure no
negative impact on the aquifers.

The county was not part of the protocol because it failed to file a timely
challenge of the Naylor Farms water right application.

The new ordinance will stay in effect for 182 days, or until a permanent
ordinance is adopted. The commissioners agreed to form a task force to work
on a permanent ordinance that could address, in addition to the new
management overlay zone, groundwater issues throughout the county.

Kimmell said none of the action taken by the county is aimed at discouraging
development but is intended to ensure a water resource for all users.
Stroschein agreed, adding the controversy appears to have created an
"opportunity" for the county to establish some long-range planning.

Nelson said he wants to make sure the county doesn't overstep its authority.
"I've got great concerns about private property rights," he said. "We all
enjoy our freedoms in this country, and private property rights are
important."