[Vision2020] Body jewelry

Debbie Gray dgray at uidaho.edu
Thu Mar 3 09:19:15 PST 2005

Having participated in a few 'hiring committees' over the past few
years, I've seen how incredibly hard it can be to narrow down a pool
of 50 qualified people and finally select the one that best fits.
Perhaps when hiring, some people may use personal appearance as
something to narrow the pool. I am not saying it's right or wrong,
just maybe that is something consciously or subconsciously at work.

For eg. a business owner needs to hire someone to work with the
public (and the public ranging from 89 year old church grandma's to
14 year old skateboarders) and 20 qualified people apply. Weighing
ALL the clients ideas the owner might go with the least potentially
unsettling employee and weed out the 4 people with unusual body
piercings, 2 people with mohawks, 2 people with unwieldy facial hair
and 2 people with offensive perfume/cologine/body odors. This still
leaves 10 qualified people that the owner still has to interview,
etc.

Personal appearance does count, many places have strict dress codes
and that's just the way it is. I know several people that work in a
variety of settings that can't wear any personal jewelry, have to
wear black pants or have their hair cut a certain length, must wear
skirts, no high heels or sneakers or whatever...  Personally, I don't
see that as discrimination. It's rigid and controlling but
discriminatory? I don't think so.

Does this make sense or am I blathering.... too early in the morning.

Debbie...