[Vision2020] Body jewelry

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Wed Mar 2 22:49:00 PST 2005

All:

I think it a sad commentary on the prejudices and unfair judgments people
make of other human beings based on personal choices of appearance which do not
harm anyone else that someone in Moscow has difficulty finding a job because of
body jewelry.

Of course employers think about the impact appearance has on customers and
want to hire employees who will fit the image most favorable for their business
success.  We all know this.  And within certain limits, employers are within
their rights to assert a dress code.  Again, we all know this.

The question is, should the public and/or an employer be so judgmental of
someone's appearance as to reject them just because of their personal choices
regarding how they wish to look?  I am not talking about identification that
employees must wear so customers know they are an employee, or safety issues that
require some employers to ban body jewelry because it can be a safety hazard,
or other job related requirements that are essential to doing the job besides
not violating the bigotry of customers, which is about the only reason I can
think of to reject an employee with body jewelry, in most cases.  Women with
pierced ears who wear jewelry in their ears are almost never rejected for
employment just because of their pierced ears.  It is just a bias against other
forms of body piercing that renders it problematic.

There may be employers in Moscow who don't care if someone works for them
with body jewelry, but they know the public will have a hissy fit, so they can't
allow it.

I can think of no good reason to reject someone for employment because of
body jewelry except the narrow minded prejudices of people who just can't stand
appearances that challenge their biases regarding how people are supposed to
look.  This is nothing more than flat out prejudice by the public and employers,
the same sort of prejudice that might have led to demanding women wear
dresses and never pants, that Blacks must straighten their hair, that men be banned
from wearing hair over their collar, that allowed bosses to hire blond
secretaries over brown haired ones for their sex appeal.

No doubt this sort of discrimination against employees appearances continues
to this day, but is it right?  Many practices that are legal in the workplace
still are morally questionable.

The argument that body piercings usually imply a kind of masochistic
personality that is undesirable is just nonsense.  The process of piercing does not
have to be painful with anesthetic.  And besides, we celebrate people in many
walks of life who suffer great pain in their work without an extreme judgment
that they are pathologically masochistic.  How much pain and suffering do
football players go through, yet we applaud their toughness and grit?  We do not
(most of us) turn off the TV during the game to shield the children from the
crunching bones and moans from the brutal hits.  This argument asserting that body
piercings are a form of wounding that implies a serious psychological
impairment when viewed from the context of our cultures relationship to pain as a
virtue is pure hypocrisy!

I have been a long distance runner my whole life.  I can guarantee you there
are times when you go all out running a long distance that it hurts!  And to
keep going while it hurts, you suffer.  I recall the 1990 Bloomsday, when at 38
years old I wanted to set a sub six minute per mile pace for the 7.46 mile
course.  I reached the top of Doomsday Hill at my goal pace, but still had about
a mile and a half more to go.  I was dead.  The only way to keep going was to
tough it out.  I had to accelerate after the hill back to my sub six minute
mile pace.  This hurt.  And it kept hurting for the next mile and a half.

Don't employ me, please!  I am a monstrous masochist for doing that to
myself.  Oh, it's OK to torture yourself for sports, you say?  In fact, you think
that means I have determination?  That's the All American thing to do?

Just don't do it with body piercings.  That's "un-American."

Ted Moffett