[Vision2020] Re: [Spam] UI going to add an on-campus Pub?

cjs cjs at turbonet.com
Wed Mar 2 11:08:47 PST 2005

Donavan,

Thank you for taking the time to bring this to my attention. THE UNIVERSITY NEEDS TO STAY IN THE EDUCATION BUSINESS. PERIOD. It doesn't belong in housing. It doesn't belong in the bar/pub business and their food court where you have major chains selling food should not be property tax exempt. For which they are. I will once again mention the Mall. The University is making a profit on the land that they lease to the mall. The same as any landlord that has to pay property taxes. There is NO EDUCATION going on over there. They need to pay property taxes.

The ASUI has not done an investigation on the Vandal Taxi and why it's failure. Just so you know, I am speaking from authority, many of you may remember it, I pissed away 14k dollars learning my lesson with the CJ's bus to give Vandals and WSU students a ride to CJ's and back. In the course of nine months of operation, 85 people got on. What we have learned is that 99% of the students of UoI WALK!!!! DOWNTOWN!!!!! TO THE PUBS!!!!! There is absolutely no need for a Vandal Taxi. You put a Pub on campus you will definetely be bankrupting us, since we are all operating marginally with the high cost of insurance, property taxes, labor, workman's comp, city tax, county tax, liquor tax. You can also call any beer distributors and find out that this year and last year sales are down for all the bars. Why? Because they are buying their beer at the grocery store and taking it home, on campus to drink. UoI cannot even enforce their no drinking on campus rule now. How would they be able!
enforce the regulations of a bar.

Your Vandal Taxi failed because everyone walks. Not to mention, it has been a very warm winter.

One more thing. WSU is buying the land that Shakers and Valhalla are on for the sole reason to get rid of them. They are too close to the University and perpetuate problems. And UoI wants to put one on campus? Helllllooooooo!!!!!

Phil Roderick