[Vision2020] Gritman's Community Service

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 2 00:46:15 PST 2005

Barbara, Mark, and Community,

Barbara, you write,

“I know that college is expensive, however, when I attended the University
of Mississippi in the early 1980's I paid more per semester than resident
students pay in fees today at the Univeristy of Idaho!”

The University of Mississippi must have significantly lowered their prices
since the 1980s because the current tuition and fees for a full time
students (two semesters) at UI is $3,632 and UM (two Semesters) is $4110.
Add in the required $1000 health insurance and it is less to go to UM Today!

http://www.olemiss.edu/cgi-bin/tuition/fall05/query.pl and
http://www.students.uidaho.edu/default.aspx?pid=44885

“As for Donovan's comments.  Gritman did not play a role in the University
requiring health insurance for its students.”

This is flatly false. The Chairman of the Gritman Board of Directors was
also a UI Administrator and was placed in charge of the development of the
new Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP) in 2002 and is still today in
charge of that program: http://www.health.uidaho.edu/default.aspx?pid=56276

It is not that hard for anyone with the interest in the truth to verify who
was Chairman of the Board of Directors at Gritman in 2002 and who was the VP
of Student Affairs, in charge of the student health insurance, during
2001-2002 when these changes took place. It is a matter of public record.

You also cannot deny that requiring students to have nine times as must
accidental coverage then any other public college or university in the
northwest is not financially benefiting Gritman more than anyone else who
would have to pay any amount not covered by that student's insurance.

It is also follows logically that if students are paying nine times the
amount of coverage as any other student in Idaho that their premiums are
going to be higher and their coverage in other areas is going to be less.

It also logically follows that if you cut dental coverage on 5500 students
some are going to have problems with their teeth and are not going to have
the $1000s (like a route canal or filling) to pay for it. This is also more
likely to occur than someone getting into an accident causing $500,000 in
damage and them having to drop out of school. If you have $500,000 occur to
you in one accident, you probably are going to drop out anyway.

The argument is not IF students should have medical coverage. Of course they
should, every one should. The questions are, how much insurance coverage,
and should we deny people a right to post secondary education when they
cannot afford nine times as much health insurance as other students? Should
we not want people that cannot afford health insurance a chance to get a job
and health care, instead or using the indigent care fund forever?

Those 200 students that did not get into UI last year because of medical
coverage that cannot be covered with loans or grants, took their $10,000 in
student loans to another college. That is $2,000,000 not coming into the
Moscow Community because of this plan. Not to mention the damage the plan is
doing to the rest of the community when they do not get coverage for this
they do need.

I think it is wonderful that so many people like Gritman Hospital. To is so
nice that the members of the community that have access to it like it. Now,
can we work on making sure EVERYONE has access to Gritman, and not just for
catastrophic coverage?

It seems as though people only want coverage for themselves and not anyone
else. What about the 5,000 people in the area that do not have coverage to
Gritman unless they are in an accident? Does that not bother you? Is this
the liberal or Christian thing to do?

“I have reviewed Gritman's Form 990 from the year 2003 (the latest
available).  And I think it is important for the community to know the
exact amount of Griitman's Community Contributions.  In 2003 Gritman
provided $11,699,750.02 in direct patient care that was not reimbursed.”

While I do not want to undermine this giving, I think it is important to
point out that there is a significant difference between making charitable
contributions and not being reimburse for services. Gritman did not
intentionally give away all of this amount, they were required by law to do
so in order to remain an institution that allows for profit doctor
businesses inside the hospital.

If I come home from work and $1000 in furniture was stolen from my house, I
do not say that I donated $1000 to the community. If the candy machine eats
my dollar I did not make a $1 donation to a private company that helps cheer
children. Gritman loses money for the same major reasons.

And I too want to thank the hard working people at Gritman. I hope some day
more students can visit your hospital for reasons other than a catastrophic
injury. Like maybe for prevention of an illness. But unfortunately your
administration has taken action to minimize this possibility.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold