[Vision2020] Some of What's Wrong With American Schools...

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Tue Mar 1 16:05:00 PST 2005

FL, Others,

Part of the problem that Gates and FL allude to is caused by the
disproportional amount of personnel costs to school districts and the
worship of small class sizes without considering an alternative that works
in other countries with superior schools.

Without going into detail, peer instruction is a method I have seen work in
situations where students were greatly economically and background-wise
impoverished.  It is one that takes some start-up costs in the training of
teachers, but in the long run, it is worth it.

Besides better educational performance, students reared in peer instruction
environments tend to have better social and relational skills and have
greater sensitivity toward and empathy with their peers and others.

When I suggested this to the school board in Boundary County, they looked at
me as if I were a child molester.  When I suggested this to a Moscow School
District Board Member, the response was not much better.

Being tied to "smaller classes is always better" dicta will, in my opinion,
bankrupt or otherwise bring about the failure of public education.  Whenever
I say this, the immediate reaction of most educators is hostile disbelief.

Peer teaching is a complicated undertaking in some ways.  I'd suggest that
the MSD might want to try it on a pilot basis.  If so, they need to learn
how to do it right so the concept gets a fair trial.

By Googling on "peer instruction" or "peer teaching" those interested will
find a wealth of information.  It is probably too much to expect that most
educators will do this;  but one can always hope.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com