[Vision2020] Body jewelry

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Tue Mar 1 15:46:56 PST 2005

Jasper,

I am very sorry to hear about those who judge purely on the basis of facial (or other) piercings.  I have seen in some businesses in Moscow-Pullman employees with facial piercings, so that not all employers discriminate.  Unfortunately, jobs at those who don't discriminate are highly coveted because of other traits that generally accompany non-discrimination, and turnover appears low.

When I used to hire or give advice on hirings, I did sometimes decide on the basis of appearance, almost exclusively on visible bad hygiene -- dirty hands, face, clothes, etc.

Some businesspersons may think that modest piercings on an employee may cause the loss of business.  I know of no data that supports such a view.

I try to base part of my buying decisions on the fairness of the business owners;  that's why I refuse to knowingly do business with kirkers.

If you want to post the names of the businesses who have told you that you'd be OK without the piercings, some of us might use that data when making purchasing decisions.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com