[Vision2020] Gritman's Community Service

Barbara Richardson Crouch edc at moscow.com
Tue Mar 1 11:46:09 PST 2005

Mark and Community,

I have reviewed Gritman's Form 990 from the year 2003 (the latest
available).  And I think it is important for the community to know the
exact amount of Griitman's Community Contributions.  In 2003 Gritman
provided $11,699,750.02 in direct patient care that was not reimbursed.
Gritman absorbs these costs for the community.  In addition to this
amount, Gritman provided another $1,223,791 to promote health care in the
community by providing services such as Gritman Adult Day Health, CPR
classes, smoking cessation clases, etc.

As a community board member, I have been very impressed with Gritman's
concern for the cost of health care.  I know the baord does everything in
their power to ensure that our community receives the best health care at
the best price.  The costs associated with Health Care are a concern
nationwide.  Moscow is no exception.  But because Gritman and its Board of
Directors have been fiscally repsonsible and carry a fund balance, they
are able to keep the increases to a minimum.  As a not-for-profit, it is
imperative that reserves be maintained to ensure the long-term viability
of the organization.

As for Donovan's comments.  Gritman did not play a role in the University
requiring health insurance for its students.  We all know that one injury
or illness can create thousands of dollars in medical bills.  If a student
is not insured, they run the risk of ruining their credit for many years,
plus the rest of the community pays for their health care.  I know that
college is expensive, however, when I attended the University of
Mississippi in the early 1980's I paid more per semester than resident
students pay in fees today at the Univeristy of Idaho!

Barbara