[Vision2020] Correcting Debbie's Implications:Alcohol kills 6½ times more youth than all...

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Wed Jun 29 16:15:12 PDT 2005

All:

The post quoted below dated 6/27/05 from Debbie Gray makes implications that
require correction if they lead to any misconceptions among the list serve
members regarding the arguments and evidence I presented in the post Debbie
references.

Debbie wrote:

"I don't see how the statistics that say 'alcohol kills 6.5 times
more youth than all other illicit drugs' provides much support
for legalizing marijuana for non-medical use (if that is what
your previous post was getting at)."

Debbie does not quote the post she references, nor does she mention the
subject heading, but as best as I can determine, she is referencing the post
forwarded below at the bottom subject headed "Medicinal Cannabis & Prescription
Drugs."

Apparently Debbie misunderstood the arguments and evidence presented in this
post.  In this post I presented no arguments whatsoever for the general
legalization of cannabis for nonmedical use.

The post was a response to a post of another V2020 list member who presented
arguments against legal medical cannabis.  To oversimplify for the sake of
brevity, the writer of the post I responded to presented at least two critical
arguments against legal use of medical cannabis.  I responded with arguments and
documentation to these two arguments regarding the legal use of cannabis in
medicine.

Again, I presented no argument whatsoever for general legalization of
cannabis for nonmedical use.

The two issues argued were distribution and control of a prescription drug,
and toxicity relating to prescription drugs, in the context of the debate over
medical applications of cannabis.  The writer I responded to argued that
cannabis had too many control and distribution problems and was too toxic to be
allowed for legal medical use.

My response, and the documentation I presented, revealed that there are many
legal prescription drugs that have serious and fatal (numerous cases of
overdose leading to numerous deaths) issues with abuse due to a lack of sufficient
distribution and control, with no widespread call for these legal prescription
drugs to be outlawed for any medical use.  And I suggested that the toxicity
of cannabis was not of a sufficiently high enough level to justify banning it
for medical use for short term (weeks or months not years) medical
applications.  I presented factual reliable documentation that can be researched by anyone
to support these two arguments.

The evidence I presented in fact suggested that cannabis is less toxic than
many prescription drugs that are available for legal medical use, and that the
fatal overdose potential of cannabis is nonexistent or extremely improbable,
which cannot be said for many other legal prescription drugs.

Again, I made no argument for the general legalization of cannabis outside of
a strictly medical use under a doctor's care:

I think any careful reading of the post included below exactly as it appeared
on V2020 will reveal this.

Yours in fact based accurate rational discussion of all issues...

Ted Moffett

All:

The post forwarded below offers not a single documented fact to support the
thesis that cannabis available for legal medical use should be outlawed in all
cases.

The writer appears to argue vehemently against cannabis use in medicine, when
towards the end of his "argument," the writer states:

"Until manufacture, control and distribution issues have been resolved,
I will oppose widespread medicinal use."

So if the legal medicinal [of cannabis] use is only in Salmon, Idaho, then he
has no objection, considering that this is most decidedly not "widespread?"
And all those arguments firmly declaring the harm to human beings from
medicinal cannabis can be negated if only "manufacture, control and distribution
issues have been resolved?"

So as long as "manufacture, control and distribution issues have been
resolved" then the problem of "trading pain control for cancer" is not as
significant?  If indeed the writer really believes what he states below, how can
"manufacture, control and distribution issues" override such a dire result as someone
blocking their pain but ending up with cancer as a result?

"Are we just trading pain control for cancer, the pain
of which, they would want to control with the thing that caused the cancer
in the first place? Kind of twisted to me."

So if "control and distribution issues" are a worry that leads the writer to
refute the value of medicinal cannabis, what does the writer think of the
following state of affairs, that applies to Ritalin, Oxycontin, Morphine, Prosac,
and numerous other prescription drugs?  I suppose the writer will declare that
all these drugs now legal for medical use should be pulled from legal use by
doctors, considering the formidable problems now existing with control and
distribution?

Consider these cases:

Your mother is in the hospital dying in agonizing pain, and the doctor
declares that morphine has just been made illegal because there are too many
"control and distribution issues."  Your son has ADHD, and is failing in school, but
Ritalin is now pulled off the market becoming illegal because of "control and
distribution issues."  Your wife is having a breakdown, but Prosac is illegal,
no longer available, because of "control and distribution issues."  And your
brother who is dying of AIDs is blocked from being able to legally use
cannabis to relieve symptoms because of "control and distribution issues."

As Republican State Sen. Robert Kierlin of Winona, Minnesota said in regard
to legislation in 2005 to protect seriously ill people from prosecution for
using medicinal marijuana:

"It's a question of compassion," the Republican said. "With terminal
illnesses, if there's any chance to solve any of the pain problem with any drug we
should give it a shot."

http://www.csdp.org/news/news/winona_medmj_033005.htm

The writer did not clarify if he would support legal medical cannabis for the
terminally ill.  Of course not.  His position hasn't changed, nor will it,
regardless of what facts or arguments are presented.

If the writer follows his logic consistently, he would remove many currently
legal prescription drugs from legal use by doctors because of the widespread
abuse and lack of tight control over these drugs.  I can understand the logic,
but is the writer willing to apply it across the board to all prescription
drugs that are abused?

And has the writer considered that keeping medical cannabis illegal will not
stop the widespread use of cannabis?  That genie is out of the bottle.  In
fact, is it not possible that keeping medical cannabis illegal actually helps
fuel a rebellion that encourages cannabis use?  The writer offers no facts to
back his assertion that allowing legal medical cannabis will result in a dramatic
increase in abuse in other ways.

Consider the following relating to the abuse of and lack of control over
prescription drugs:

http://csmonitor.com/cgi-bin/durableRedirect.pl?/durable/2000/10/31/fp1s4-csm.shtml

Also known as methylphenidate, Ritalin is in the Drug Enforcement
Administration's (DEA's) Top 10 list of most often stolen prescription drugs. It's widely
available on college campuses, as well as in high school cafeterias. Kids are
popping, snorting, even dissolving and injecting Ritalin, putting it in the
same drug class as cocaine. "Virtually every data source available confirms ...
the widespread theft, diversion, and abuse of Ritalin, and drugs like it,
within public schools throughout the country," says Rep. Henry Hyde (R) of
Illinois. "It seems clear from the data that children are using these drugs
illicitly, and that this use is increasing."

------

http://dawninfo.samhsa.gov/files/DAWN_ED_Interim2003.pdf

>From page 49 at the above link:

52% of emergency room visits were due to consumption of prescription drugs.
-------

http://ncadi.samhsa.gov/govpubs/prevalert/v6/4.aspx

Over the past decade-and-a-half, the number of teen and young adult (ages 12
to 25) new abusers of prescription painkillers such as oxycodone (OxyContin)
or hydrocodone (Vicodin) has grown five-fold (from 400,000 in the mid-eighties
to 2 million in 2000).
New misusers of tranquilizers such as diazepam (Valium) or alprazolam (Xanax,
called "zanies" by youth)-medicine normally used to treat anxiety or
tension-went up nearly 50 percent in one year (700,000 in 1999 to 1 million in 2000).

I could go on with references regarding this subject, but let's move on to
the grave toxicity of cannabis asserted by the writer, specifically lung cancer,
and also, just to explore the dangers of cannabis compared to other legal
precription drugs, the possibility of overdose from not knowing the exact
cannabinol content in the cannabis being consumed.  The false argument that a given
genetic strain of cannabis grown under controlled conditions will vary so
widely in the THC content that it cannot be subject to testing accurate enough to
verify what variability of THC content is present is currently being shown
false in the Canada Health effort to grow cannabis of a known strength for medical
use, so I won't labor this issue.

But consider these statements from professional researchers in light of the
claims made by the writer regarding the toxicity of cannabis and cannabinols
and also the possibility of overdose:

"There are no long lasting ill-effects from the acute use of marijuana and no
fatalities have ever been recorded ... there seems to be growing agreement
within the medical community, at least, that marijuana does not directly cause
criminal behaviour, juvenile delinquency, sexual excitement, or addiction."
Dr J. H. Jaffe, The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. L.Goodman and A
Gillman, eds. 3rd edn. 1965.

In the journal Fundamental And Applied Toxicology, Dr. William Slikker,
director of the Neurotoxicology Division of the National Center for Toxicological
Research (NCTR), described the health of monkeys exposed to very high levels of
cannabis for an extended period: "The general health of the monkeys was not
compromised by a year of marijuana exposure as indicated by weight gain,
carboxyhemoglobin and clinical chemistry/hematology values." Dr. Merle Paule of NCTR
added "There's just nothing there. They were all fine." - "No Increase in
Carcinogen-DNA Adducts in the Lungs of Monkeys Exposed Chronically to Marijuana
Smoke", 1992, Fundamental And Applied Toxicology, Dec 63 (3): 321-32.

Researchers at the University of California (UCLA) School of Medicine
conducted an 8-year study into the effects of long-term cannabis smoking on the
lungs. Dr. D.P. Tashkin reported:

"Findings from the present long-term, follow-up study of heavy, habitual
marijuana smokers argue against the concept that continuing heavy use of marijuana
is a significant risk factor for the development of [chronic lung disease...
Neither the continuing nor the intermittent marijuana smokers exhibited any
significantly different rates of decline in [lung function]" as compared with
those individuals who never smoked marijuana... No differences were noted
between even quite heavy marijuana smoking and non-smoking of marijuana."

- American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Volume 155

"Cannabis is remarkably safe. Although not harmless, it is surely less toxic
than most of the conventional medicines it could replace if it were legally
available. Despite its use by millions of people over thousands of years,
cannabis has never cause an overdose death." (10/1/97)

Lester Grinspoon, M.D.
Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, author of
Marijuana: The Forbidden Medicine, 1993, and
Marihuana Reconsidered, 1994

I could go with references that tilt toward cannabis as more benign than
often thought, and of course anyone can find contradicting references to those
above.  Cannabis has become a focal point for a politicized war of ideology and
culture, with much "science" being funded by the government for the purpose of
proving they were right all along to demonize cannabis, and cannabis
supporters making fools of themselves, as the writer indicates, lighting up at rallies
to support legal medicinal cannabis when any idiot knows such behavior could
possibly induce a negative reaction in public support for medical cannabis.

But I wonder if the writer will come out with equal fervor to outlaw for
medical use the widely abused prescription drugs mentioned above that certainly
lack the strict "control and distribution issues" the writer asserted are
critical to his acceptance of medical cannabis.

Keeping medical cannabis illegal will not stop the widespread use of cannabis
in our culture, but if all the pharmaceutical companies were forced to stop
manufacturing Ritalin, Prosac, Oyxcontin, and other prescription drugs that are
widely abused, it would likely cut back on the abuse of these drugs because
of the difficulty in manufacturing them, a situation that does not apply to
cannabis.  They could be illegally imported, but the quantity available would
drop dramatically if they were no longer available for legal medical use.

Ted Moffett