[Vision2020] Testimony at Logos Hearing

DonaldH675 at aol.com DonaldH675 at aol.com
Tue Jun 28 18:49:42 PDT 2005

Visionaries:
There has been some discussion on other blog sites about  material I
presented at the BOE hearing on Logos School yesterday  afternoon.  Although the
entire record is available at the County  Commissioners office in the Court House,
I offer a copy of my testimony on two  topics here on V2020.  These policies
are taken verbatim  from
Logos  School Board Policy Manual
10.13 Learning Disabilities        pg. 78

Dates: Approved: January 18, 1994 (re-approved every year  since)
Objective: To clarify the educational goals of Logos  School.
Scope: This policy applies to all students and teachers  in all the
classrooms of Logos School.
Definitions:
Severe Learning Disability: Any condition in a potential  student which would
require a separate classroom, program, and staff in order to  provide the
educational services desired by the parents. e.g. Down's syndrome,  deaf/mute,
blind, etc.
Learning Disability: Any condition in a potential student  or student which
does not require a separate classroom, program, and staff in  order to provide
the education services desired by the parents E.g.  Hyperactivity, Attention
Deficit Syndrome, dyslexia, etc. For the purposes of  this policy, it is not
important whether or not the condition was accurately  diagnosed and is a
genuine learning disability.
Guidelines:
Children with a severe learning disability will not be  admitted to Logos due
to the lack of adequate staff, funding, and  facilities.
Children who have been diagnosed as having a learning  disability will be
required to meet the same academic standards as all the other  children in their
grade level.
Children  who have been diagnosed as having a learning disability will be
given as much  individual instruction and encouragement as their classmates

9.4  Separation Policy
Dates:  Approved: August 22, 1994
Revised: September 29, 1997
Revised: January 15, 2001
Revised: July 16, 2001
Objective:  To provide a clear policy describing the steps by which employees
may be  separated from Logos
School.
Scope:  This policy covers the procedure and avenues of separating an
employee.
Definitions:  N/A
Guidelines:
Unforeseen  Circumstances: Due to events such as death, disability,
pregnancy*, school  closure, etc., the employee may not be able to continue work. The
expulsion from  school of an employee’s child may also be grounds for
separation, at the  employee’s or the administrator’s determination. As part of that
determination,  the employee’s gender and home situation may be considered.
Separation would be  mandatory should the expelled child continue to live in a
publicly disreputable  manner. *That is if, while under contract with Logos
School, a teacher becomes  pregnant, a work agreement will not be issued for the
subsequent school year.  Also, normally women with infants (under school age)
will not be allowed to  return to work.
9.13 Emergency/Sick Leave Policy
Dates: Approved: December 21, 1993 (to  date)
2.  Emergency leave -- unplanned but necessary time off due to serious
circumstances
Logos  School does not recognize any form of "maternity leave." If a female
staff  member becomes pregnant while under a work agreement with the school,
under the  direction of her husband and doctor, she may work as long as
considered wise. If  she needs to leave before the final working date stated on the
work agreement, a  replacement will be obtained to fill the entire remaining
period."

Further,  it is the case that any private conversations that I have, which I
believe  contains confidential disclosures, have never been, are not now, and
never  will be brought forward in a public venue..

Rose  Huskey