[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter from UI President White (June 24, 2005)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Jun 24 05:56:37 PDT 2005

Copied and pasted below is today's (June 24, 2005) UI Friday Letter from UI
President White.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends June 24, 2005

Dear Friends,

Congratulations to the staff of the University of Idaho student newspaper,
the Argonaut. It has earned first place in the nation as best all-around
non-daily newspaper in the Society of Professional Journalist's Mark of
Excellence program. Brian Passey, now a reporter for The Spectrum in St.
George, Utah, was the Argonaut's editor during spring semester 2004. Abbey
Lostrom, a UI senior journalism major, was the fall semester editor.

The Argonaut is one of the longest continuously published independent
student newspapers in the Northwest. It is supported by advertising revenue
and student fees and governed by a student media board. Our student
newspaper has a long tradition of being a voice for students, so I consider
it required reading. The efforts of Argonaut student-journalists have
resulted in my respect and pride for their dedication to the principles of
journalism.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

~ The College of Letters, Arts and Social Sciences is the recipient of a
$396,000 Department of Education grant to support jazz education and
performance efforts. The grant will provide five undergraduate scholarships
and graduate fellowships to the Lionel Hampton School of Music in each of
the next three years. In addition, each of UI's four jazz education entities
- the Lionel Hampton School of Music, the Lionel Hampton International Jazz
Festival, the International Jazz Collections and the College of Letters,
Arts and Social Sciences - will receive $7,000 a year over the next three
years to bring jazz artists- and scholars-in-residence to campus. The
artists and scholars will present a variety of workshops, master classes,
lectures, seminars and concerts throughout the year for both students and
the public. They also will return to UI in February to participate in the
annual Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival.

~ University of Idaho student Brett Phillips of Sugar City was elected as
the 2005-06 chair of the National Association of College and University
Residence Halls. NACURH is the largest and oldest student-run organization
worldwide. "I feel honored and excited to serve in the position," Phillips
said. "NACURH has been a fundamental portion of my college development
allowing me to find a better sense of self, expand my leadership, build my
integrity, and most importantly, serve others." His term as chair will focus
on helping expand and improve the quality of residence hall life on a
national scale.

~ Four Idaho leaders - Cecil D. Andrus, Dirk A. Kempthorne, Larry E. Craig
and James A. McClure - have joined forces to revitalize the H. Sydney
Duncombe Scholarship Fund for Excellence in Political Science. Dumcombe
began teaching courses in public administration at UI in 1962, and after 25
years, 200 classes and literally thousands of students, the H. Sydney
Duncombe Excellence in Political Science Scholarship Fund was established.
Today's goal is to provide 10 awards in Duncombe's honor each year to
support students preparing for careers in public service. The Idaho leaders
invite others to extend Duncombe's legacy by contributing to the scholarship
fund via UI Gift Receipting, c/o H. Sydney Duncombe Scholarship Fund, P.O.
Box 443147, Moscow, Idaho 83844-3147 or visit www.uidaho.edu/givetoidaho.

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen

"What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they
are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say
about their cause, but what they say about their opponents."

-- Robert F. Kennedy