[Vision2020] Banned uses in the Groundwater Protection Zone Part 1

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 24 02:43:03 PDT 2005

Mark,

The clay deposits are part of the Sediment of Bovill member of the Latah
Formation, as thin individual horizons within a series of thicker sands and
gravel layers.  The complete sequence is over three hundred feet thick.  The
only clay unit with a thickness to be of interest as a continuous possibly
minable unit is the Rogers Horizon and it is within the lower portions of
the Sediment of Bovill.  That is why there is an overburden problem, there
are not only 5-50 feet of Palouse Formation loess deposits over the top of
the Rogers Horizon, but also major thicknesses of sand and gravel.

At water table levels, there are four distinct aquifers associated with the
Sediment of Bovill, each separated by thinner clay horizons and flowing in
sand and gravel channel deposits with variable clay contents.  Those
individual water bearing units have flows between 1-30 gallons per minute.
They are all contained in the lower 150 feet of the Sediment of Bovill.

It is in the upper portion of those sediments, and specifically in the hill
slope areas on the small stranded Palouse hills, where overburden is a thin
layer of 1-5 feet of over washed Palouse, that possible sand and gravel
deposits with low potential overburden occurs.  Because those upper portions
of the Sediment of Bovill are above the water table and are on small hills,
stranded and not continuous with the rest of the sedimentary package, they
are not part of the aquifer system.

Yes, clay sells for significant amounts higher in value than sand and
gravel, but the processing costs for clay are also significantly higher.
Clay requires lots of water and very long periods of settling time and
drying using natural gas.  You can recycle water from a clay operation, but
you require a very large area for dewatering and a very long dwell time to
get the extreme fines out of the water for re-use.  So clay has a milling
cost in the tens of dollars per ton.

Processing sand and gravel, on the other hand, can easily recycle water,
because water flows pretty easily from a sandy material or coarser gravels.
You may not be aware of it, but the crushed rock operators are producing
water washed basalt gravel as we speak just off the Moscow Pullman Highway.
Instead of dwelling in a settling pond for weeks, water separates from sand
and gravel in hours and can then be sent back into the processes loop to
wash another batch.  Because of this, sand and gravel costs a couple of
dollars a ton to ‘mill’, an order of magnitude lower in costs than
processing clay.

A clay processing plant costs millions to tens of millions of dollars.  It
has to have an array of water removal equipment and air quality equipment
and other things that are simply not required in sand and gravel plants.
This compares to several hundred thousand dollars for the typical sand and
gravel water washing plant.  You can view one of those right here in town,
because Moscow happens to be a major producer of them and sells sand and
gravel plants made right here on the Palouse literally all over the world.

So it would only take about 3-4 million gallons of water to process all of
the areas 250,000 ton sand and gravel needs annually.  That same amount of
water would only handle 1-2 thousand tons of clay.  It’s half the water that
the new playing fields that the City of Moscow intends to build will use and
a tenth of the requirements for WSU’s new golf course.

And its not that I am interested in this from a company stand point, Mark.
It’s a small sand and gravel operation and what is referred to in the Mining
Industry as a Mom and Pop type of operation that a small local company
without a big overhead would even want to run.

What I see is an opportunity for a small local firm to wash sand and gravel
and employee 10-20 local guys at real living wages.  I also see a way to
save the community a couple of million dollars that are simply spent
trucking a commodity to us that we could be producing here.  Without that
trucking cost, we would also eliminate the need for 500,000 gallons of
fossil fuel being burned annually, which not only saves that cost, but
conserves energy resource and reduces Greenhouse Gas emissions.

And I am not suggesting to you that there are specific sites that are
currently feasible, just that there are a number of locations in the
Groundwater Overlay Zone that might have the potential to be used in this
manner.  There would of course have to be testing and drilling and the rest
to establish the merits of any sand and gravel deposits in the upper
Sediment of Bovill and further to evaluate any impacts that working in them
may have.  But if we ban all mineral activity, that will never be
established and no effort will be undertaken to look at it.

By allowing conditional use for minerals activity that is non-groundwater
disturbing and setting the requirements for establishing the proofs needed
to get such a permit, we can get both the potential for additional data
needed to figure out how the groundwater recharge zone works and possibly
establish workable zones of sands and gravels that could end up benefiting
the community.  An outright ban may make it easier to draft legislation, but
we are giving something of substance up by not taking the time to write a
better and more complex ordinance.  Saving a couple million dollars in
community commodity costs, a half million gallons in fuel and putting some
local guys to work at the same time, seems to me worth taking the time to
write some code for.

Phil Nisbet