[Vision2020] Edgar Killian and Mississippi Justice

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Jun 21 20:50:49 PDT 2005

Arnold -

I believe what Ms. Husky is alluding to concerns a person's strength of
character and conviction, that willingness to draw the proverbial line in
the sand regardless of the odds.

After all, Arnold, the worst kind of loneliness is in not being happy with
yourself.  As Rudyard Kipling said:

"If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings -- nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And -- which is more -- you'll be a Man, my son!"

You stated:

"When you get beaten up side the head a few times with brass knuckles and a
baseball bat, or had your property destroyed, then you can come talk to me
about how you sacrificed and fought against bigotry and hatred."

Please continue, Arnold.  Tell us about your many exploits as a Freedom
Rider.

Take care, Moscow.

 "While insisting on the pursuit of the great liberal values of tolerance,
equality, justice, and free discussion, liberals should join with
conservatives in supporting virtue formation in our families and character
education in our schools. The very survival of our nation depends on such an
alliance."

- From "Moscow as a City of Virtues" by Nick Gier (Professor Emeritus of
Philosophy at the University of Idaho)