[Vision2020] The Virtues Come First

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 21 19:51:48 PDT 2005

I am glad we can agree on this Rose. Thanks.

I wonder if there is a way we can get the community to
support efforts to expand support for the poor beyond
that of federal and state mandated or provided
programs.

Many people assume that everyone can work. That is not
always true. Family members that have children,
elderly parents, and sometimes disabled members of the
family to take care of cannot work enough hours to get
out of poverty. Also, many people with disabilities do
not have the ability to work over a certain number of
hours because they will lose their medical care
benefits, the costs of which would run many times over
what they could make. Many employers also will only
pay persons with disabilities minimum wage, which is
not a livable wage.

I think that we need to provide more services that are
not cash services, like food, clothing, and utilities,
but most of all decent affordable housing. Non-cash
services do not have to always be reported, where as
cash and income does, causing them to lose other
benefits and assistance.

Donovan J Arnold