[Vision2020] Edgar Killian and Mississippi Justice

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Mon Jun 20 20:10:43 PDT 2005

I agree with Rose and would like to add this:

Yesterday, I went to Moscow's first Juneteenth celebration at the High
School commons.  Most of you know that Juneteenth is the holiday, usually in
mid-June, that commemorates the emancipation of the slaves from their
Confederate slave holders.  It began in Texas and is more commonly
celebrated in the south and midwest, although as a girl in Tucson I remember
attending many Juneteenths with my parents, who were active in the NAACP.

I had the good fortune of meeting John Crout, who organized the festivities
and who yesterday was cooking up a storm for a small crowd of folks who came
to eat, visit, play games and learn about the celebration.  It seems,
though, that sponsorship for the event was difficult to obtain, and I
understand that many businesses in Moscow and Pullman were reluctant to
participate, if not downright dismissive.

The voices of those who proclaim that the slave-slave master relationship
was "mutually affectionate" and an example of an unprecedented degree of
harmony between the races continue to ring out in Moscow, with a
corresponding condemnation of the work of abolitionists to end the slave
trade.  It's not hard to think that when a prominent segment of our
community calls slavery justifiable and abolition sinful, and when the
church remains silent amidst the clamor, it might result in some difficulty
garnering support for a Juneteenth festival.  I'm ashamed.

I promised Mr. Crout that I would help support Juneteenth next year, and I
hope and pray that Moscow makes a statement against racism and white
privilege in all its forms and does so as loudly and clearly as possible --
and that next mid-June has the Palouse abuzz in anticipation of celebrating
emancipation at Juneteenth and proclaiming righteousness all the year long.

And as for the Killen case -- may justice prevail, and may any unrepentant
murderer who calls himself a minister of the gospel be held to the contempt
he earns and be given the sentence he deserves.

keely emerine mix