[Vision2020] Council items

Steven Basoa sbasoa at moscow.com
Mon Jun 20 09:52:58 PDT 2005

I was hoping that there would be more response to the "Large Scale
Retail Development Regulations and Permit Process" subject.  These big
boxes will have a definite impact on our town, possibly more negative
than positive.  I think there should definitely be separate development
standards for large stores and, yes, we should have some sort of stop
gap measure in place until these standards are developed.  Perhaps a
temporary moratorium on large scale development could be put in place so
that the city council doesn't make hasty decisons that could negatively
impact the town and it's citizens.  The turmoil in Pullman over the
super Walmart should serve as a warning sign to all that this is a
situation that needs to be carefully assessed and dealt with.
Personally, I do not want the Pullman and Troy Highways to look like
Spokane's Division and Sprague streets or Lewiston's 21st street.

Thanks for bringing this matter to our attention and asking for input.

-Steven