[Vision2020] Council items

Bill London london at moscow.com
Sat Jun 18 09:24:47 PDT 2005

J-
First, my thanks for both raising these issues and for directly addressing V2020.

Regarding the "big-box" stores: due to their inherent huge impact on the economic and social fabric of a town the size of Moscow, I think it is entirely appropriate for the council to create standards for those giant projects and insure that there is an opportunity for the public to discuss the impact (the alternative is the feeling of helplessness that Pullman residents now face regarding their Wal-Mart).  The creation of those standards should include public input.  In the meantime, as those standards are developed, yes, I think a conditional use hearing process is a good stop-gap measure.

Regarding the Virtues Project: The mantra of public input is an empty slogan if there are no clear pathways that citizens wish to use to offer their opinions.  From my limited experience with the Virtues Project (talking with people who are supportive of its goals), it sounds like the project could become the nucleus for a system that actually does provide a way for citizens to feel empowered.  So, if the project can show broad support from community groups, I say give it some $ and see if it works
BL