[Vision2020] The Virtues Project

DonaldH675 at aol.com DonaldH675 at aol.com
Mon Jun 20 00:58:40 PDT 2005

Visionaries:

In a previous email I asked City Council Member, John Dickinson, about the
quantifiable effectiveness of "The Virtues Project."  I have found a  website
that provides more information on current research about the many  character
programs available.  _http://reading.indiana.edu/chared/rsrchschol.html_
(http://reading.indiana.edu/chared/rsrchschol.html)

Although I am not a city residence, and consequently this program would not
be supported by my tax dollars, I did want to share some thoughts.

It is hard to imagine anyone who is opposed to the notion that virtuous
behavior is a good thing.  In fact, we probably all like to see more of  it.  But,
I'm not convinced that the best way to achieve it is through  publicly funded
character development programs.  How does this program, or  others like it,
differ from all those wham, bam, I'm a superman (or women)  presentations from
the Steven Covey crowd? (That fad, IMO, made a lot  of money for Steven Covey,
but what did it really accomplish?) How is it  different from the "Promise
Keepers"  marriage program?   And, no, I am not referring to the sectarian
nature of Promise Keepers, but  rather the ambiance and silly cheerleading aspects.

If the city (and by extension the university and the school district) have
spare money, why not spend it on programs that might have concrete  results?  I
wish there were job programs for at risk local kids.  The  hope of a better
future based on the acquisition of practical job skills is a  concrete way to
reduce anti-social behavior.  Why not use spare money to  fund school lunch
programs year round so that children who have relied on free  or reduced school
breakfast and lunch programs can have full bellies during  the summer?  Being
polite is socially graceful, but being fed  is essential.

I don't like to sound cynical, but it does seem to me that if your mom,  dad,
grandpa, grandma,  a nice neighbor, or your religious  leader, hasn't let you
know that telling lies, stealing, and being a bully  is just plain wrong, I
think it is really unlikely that anyone else, or any  well intended program,
will be convincing.

Is it just me, or does this seem like another feel good package with a  great
marketing program?   When I go to the Virtues Project  website, click on the
Virtue of the Week button <_http://www.virtuesproject.com/index.php_
(http://www.virtuesproject.com/index.php) > and  see a photo of a sappy looking guy
oozing the word "Humility" and a little  homily at me, I just remember my own
bitter experiences in learning  that "Pride goeth before a fall." And, guess
what, it didn't cost the City  of Moscow a thing.

Okay, I am just a old crab pot.

Rose Huskey