[Vision2020] Medical Cannabis: National Academy of Sciences

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Thu Jun 16 11:40:55 PDT 2005

Kai wrote:

"Frankly, I think the whole reason for the "medicinal" use is to get a
loophole where your local ganja master can find a sympathetic doctor to give
him a 'scrip and then bubble his bong with impunity."

This non-science based assertion, implying the legal medical marijuana effort
is just a conspiracy to legalize cannabis for other nonmedical uses, should
probably be dismissed as not worth a response, if it were not for the
popularity of this viewpoint, blocking a rational empirical science based approach to
this issue.

For those who can actually THINK WITH AN OPEN MIND, REASON, AND FOLLOW
EMPIRICAL SCIENCE BASED EVIDENCE, and wish to review a science based source of info
on cannabinoid effectiveness in medicine that, though it has a bias, it
appears to me, against cannabis use in medicine, still acknowledges that
cannabinoids do have significant medical use, even in the plant based smoked method of
delivery, consider this report from the National Academy of Sciences:

A quote from the report:

"Until a nonsmoked rapid-onset cannabinoid drug delivery system becomes
available, we acknowledge that there is no clear alternative for people suffering
from chronic conditions that might be relieved by smoking marijuana, such as
pain or AIDS wasting."

And a web link to this report where you can find the context of the quote
above:

http://www.nap.edu/readingroom/books/marimed/ch4.html

Ted Moffett