[Vision2020] Anonymous Pamphleteers of the Reformation

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 15 22:42:43 PDT 2005

Dear Visionaries and Kirkers:

Why should Doug Wilson (http://dougwils.com) and his followers object
to the anonymous authorship of the scriptural letter called “Labor of
Love?”  The founders of Wilson’s faith all published anonymous
pamphlets; I’m thinking particularly of Scottish theologian (and Wilson
idol) John Knox’s “The First Trumpet Blast Against the Monstrous
Regiment of Women.”  Knox did not publish that under his own name – he
had far too much to lose.  Instead, he spoke his piece from the safety
of anonymity.  Would Doug have wished it otherwise?  Would he rather
Knox had lost his head (literally) and published under his own name
rather than live on to speak and write extensively, and by his work
create the Scottish Presbyterianism that Doug lays claim to today?

Just off the top of our heads (meaning Melynda’s, Rose’s, and mine)
we’ve complied a brief list of Reformation and/or Puritan movers and
shakers who chose to publish at least some portion of their work
anonymously:

John Calvin
John Knox
Melancthon
Servetius
Robert Owen
John Milton
Martin Bucer
And, while Martin Luther did not attempt to conceal his identity, he
did not sign his 95 Theses.

Perhaps Andreas Schou, Nick Gier, or Ted Moffett can add to this list?

My point?  Surely content is at least as important as authorship.  As
the Bible is itself a compilation of the works of countless anonymous
authors, a Biblical literalist might argue that content is everything
and authorship nothing.  I would also point out that Doug and his
followers are not above writing anonymous pamphlets -- though I
certainly wouldn’t class “Topless and Proud” with Knox, Calvin, or the
anonymous genius behind “Labor of Love.”

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com

PS: I’ve put up a flyer for the film “My Town” on my website.  You may
access it directly at www.auntie-establishment.com/mytown.html.