[Vision2020] Board of Ed meeting 6/16, UI Commons

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Tue Jun 14 14:07:25 PDT 2005

The State Board of Education is meeting at the UI Commons this week.
There will be a very important presentation by members past and
present of the School of Art and Architecture regarding its imperiled
future at 8:00 a.m. Thursday in the Whitewater/Clearwater rooms at
the Commons.

There are two basic interrelated issues:

1) Several years ago the College of Art and Architecture was stripped
of its designation as a college in the reshuffling of the liberal
arts side of the UI under somewhat shady and secret circumstances.
Such program changes are supposed to be reviewed and approved by the
BOE. That review apparently never occurred. Cost reductions are also
supposed to be demonstrated to save $250,000. Such demonstration did
not occur. Supporters of reinstatement of college status are now
being told by UI administrators they must show income potential to a
reinstated college of $1 million before reinstatement will be
considered.

2) Now that the College of Art and Architecture has been demoted to a
school the dean of the College of Letters, Arts and Sciences is
moving to eliminate the studio arts program by shifting its location
to WSU. This shift will effectively make it impossible for studio
arts to be part of a UI college education, especially for a non-art
major due to the disconnect between campuses caused by distance and
schedule differences.

It is highly unlikely that (2) would have occurred if (1) had not
taken place. As I understand it, Thursday's meeting will focus on
reinstating the College status. I urge all within our community who
are concerned with the future of education at the UI and/or the
presence of a vibrant arts community in Moscow to attend the meeting
and make our presence visible to the BOE.

Following is Vera White's column on this issue from last Friday's Daily News.

Hope to see a lot of you there!

Mark Solomon
*********
  Last week, the INKster reported that members of the University of
Idaho College of Art and Architect Foundation are more than
frustrated in their attempts to restore the UI College of Art and
Architecture. They also are receiving strong backing from faculty and
student leadership.

  It has come to light that the dissolution of the CAA, as well as the
formation of the new College of Letters, Arts and Social Sciences,
the College of Science, and three other major organizational changes
were approved by State Board of Education Executive Director Gary
Stivers on June 17, 2002. Until recently, the explanation offered by
the SBOE and the UI administration was that the bundle of those six
changes was below the $250,000 "trigger point" and therefore did not
need SBOE board review and approval. Somehow, these sweeping changes
also missed the University Curriculum Committee and Faculty Council
for review and approval, standard procedure as well.

  From information received this week, it appears this board policy
did not take effect until four months after June 2002 and was based
on a yet unidentified policy that preceded it. In the audio recording
of the April 2004 SBOE meeting, past president Blake Hall reflected,
"It has become apparent to me, though, that there were issues that
have arisen, that I certainly was never, none of us, involved in
approving the decision with regard to the CAA. The issue has never
come before this board."

  Hall further noted that "in light of the high level of interest and
concern that has been expressed over the last six months (2004) on
this issue, I would propose that we place on our agenda for our June
(2004) meeting, which happens to be in Moscow, a full review of the
decision to terminate, or to fold in, the CAA into the other college."

  As of this writing, the item has yet to appear on a SBOE agenda. The
CAAF has applied to be on the agenda at Thursday's meeting in Moscow
but may have to settle for a few minutes during the board's "open
discussion" forum.

  In detailing the information last week, the INKster referenced a May
16 e-mail Joe Zeller, dean of the CLASS, sent in response to CAAF's
request to restore the former college. Zeller wrote it would take
"one million, money in the bank, not a promissory note, before he
(President Tim White) would entertain a dialogue about how a college
might be re-established."

  The INKster added that the $750,000 increase in the intervening
three years was hard to understand. On Monday, she received an e-mail
from Zeller offering "clarification."

  "The June 3 INKster indicates a $750,000 increase to run a dean's
office," Zeller wrote. "The $1 million is to cover costs for four to
five years. This would assure the university that any return to a
college structure would be revenue neutral for at least that period
of time. The funding was a pre-condition before there could be a
commitment to re-establish the college structure."

  ....the blotter rests.

  INK is penned by Vera White.

  To contribute to INK, call (208) 882-5561,