[Vision2020] An Open Letter [Continuing the Thread]

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Sun Jun 12 21:36:23 PDT 2005

Ted,

Thank you for your reply.

The problem of defining "mental illness" is not an easy one to solve.  As far as I know, there is no general agreement about such a definition which is accepted by all those who can be rightly and credentially be called professional mental health professionals.

Most definitions however, recognize that a long term disconnect from "reality" meaning belief in the contradictory or unevidenced over a long period of time is part of the definition in some way.

There is no doubt that religious belief for many is a satisfying self-therapy in the form of a coping/defense mechanism against the rigors of life in a contingent universe.  I do not think these long range coping beliefs/behaviors are the most productive for many of these believers, but I respect their right to choose them but not their right to call them the "truth".

The real problem is the apodictic insistence that a particular untestable, unverifiable, etc superstitious/religious set of statements is the truth and that everyone should accept this dogma, even if such acceptance is to be coerced at the threat of social isolation, economic deprivation, physical punishment, etc, and/or death.

The material I posted author by Cult Attorney Gregor Dickison and blessed by the Cult Master himself clearly shows where the Christ Church Cult stands on such matters.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com