[Vision2020] An Open Letter

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Sun Jun 12 09:50:38 PDT 2005

Hi Pat,

I may not be the best person to address this, but . . .

I don't disagree with you when you write:
"until Christ church takes up guns and says that we all have to follow them,
they have the right to teach as they wish".

Not only do they have the right to teach as they wish, I'd add they have the
right to believe and worship as they wish as well.  Just as do you & I.

[Indeed, and this may be going back before your time on V2020, there used to
be some good (IMHO) discussions here in which Doug Wilson and other Christ
Church leaders & members used to participate.  It wasn't always what I'd
call civil, but there were some good exchanges of ideas, at least in my
opinion.  But, it's really hard to have a dialogue (no matter how uncivil at
times) when one side takes their toys and goes home to monologue-dom & only
pops back in to be divisive and disingenuous, IMHO.]

HOWEVER, I do think that Christ Church has to follow the same laws as other
churches, and I do think that Christ Church leaders and members have to
follow the same laws as the rest of us.  If they don't like those laws, they
have the same rights as the rest of us to try to change them, but sneaking
around breaking those laws & then throwing huge whining hissy fits yelling
"Persecution!  Intolerance!" when caught isn't particularly productive,
IMHO.  In fact, I'd say it's destructive to our community.

This, I think, is where much of the non-theological controversy lies.

And, when Christ Church wants to use the teeth of the law to force me to
behave in accordance with their religious beliefs -- and IMHO in violation
of basic human rights -- I'm gonna fight it.  That's an obligation I take
very seriously -- God demands that of me.

Besides, in my worldview, forced or coerced "salvation" doesn't work.

I'm quite willing to follow my spiritual/religious beliefs and to allow
everyone else to do the same.  I *have faith* that God will sort it all out
at the appropriate time, and I don't find it necessary for me to sit in
judgment over others' religious beliefs, something that *certainly* cannot
be said for Doug Wilson and some of his church's leaders and members.

But, I think Andreas wrote it all much better than I  :-)

As for Moscow growth . . .

I think the timing adjustments of the lights around Washington, Main,
Jackson, and Third SUCK!  It seems like I'm spending a lot more time sitting
at red lights than I did before the adjustments.  But, I don't drive
downtown as much as others & maybe it's just the times of day I've been
there, so I may not be the best judge.

I agree with you about moving the high school out of downtown.  I do not
think there is the space necessary without dumping in more money than is
fiscally wise.  However, it seems that many don't agree, so it will be
interesting to see what happens over the next few years.  I will have to
continue to vote for what I think is best for our schools, even if it is a
minority opinion  :-)

JMHO,
Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2005, Saundra Lund.
Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside the Vision 2020 forum
without the express written permission of the author.*****