[Vision2020] An Open Letter

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Fri Jun 10 17:59:44 PDT 2005

Ahhh, yes -- wooden Biblical literalism, the favored harbor for those
rebuked and scorned.

No one would argue that the testimony of two or three witnesses isn't better
than a singular "he said, she said" accusation/response, and even though
Scripture doesn't say it, I'd feel comfortable suggesting that four, 17, or
349 witnesses is even better than three.  However, charges of being
"unloving" are rather difficult to substantiate in a court of law, which is
why our courts don't entertain such charges.  And as aliens and strangers in
the land, as we Christians are supposed to be, we wouldn't ask them to.
Rather, we take seriously the sincere, concerned rebuke of our brothers and
sisters, among whom there is ample evidence of unloving, smug, arrogant,
cutting and childish behavior coming from Doug Wilson and the leadership of
Christ Church.  If even one person leveled similar charges at me, I would be
stricken and humbled, I would search my heart and seek the counsel of the
Spirit, and I would repent if I had truly sinned.  I wouldn't pull out a
Bible verse like a fleshy beef bone offered as a distraction to a
persistent, snarling pit bull.

But that's just me.

I did not write the letter -- yes, I've been asked -- and if I had, I would
have signed my name.  But I confronted Doug with many of the same concerns
in May, 2003, in a face-to-face meeting he granted me after I wrote to him.
I was grateful for the meeting, chagrined at his demeanor during our time
together, and appalled at his continued actions and attitude afterward.  I
would suggest, in all humility, that Doug concern himself less with the
anonymity of the writer, and Dale less with Biblical prooftexting, so that
if the message received is truly light shining in the darkness, they would
be able to step into it.

keely emerine mix