[Vision2020] University to charge 2.5 percent fee to credit cardscharges

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 8 19:56:49 PDT 2005

Mr. Force,

Most freshman and sophomore students do not qualify
for enough subsidized loans to meet all their room,
board, tuition, medical and book expenses.

The government deducts the "expected family
contribution" from the maximum amount you can qualify
for in loans. If the government expects your family to
contribute $6000 a year to your education but Mom and
Pop can only fork out $3000 the student has no other
choice but to put it on the credit card and try to pay
it off with a part-time job. I only qualified for
$3000 in aid my sophomore year and nothing my freshman
year.

In addition there are increasing expenses the
University has added onto that the federal government
does not count as an expense when calculating your
maximum financial award package. For example, all
students are required to have $500,000 in catastrophic
coverage. This costs students about $1000 out of
pocket expenses if they are not covered their parents.
Business and architecture majors also have to also pay
thousands in computer software and hardware that are
also not counted as expected costs.

So in a dream world, yes students should and most do
take all they can get in loans and scholarships but
more often than not this is not enough for freshman
and sophomore students.

Donovan J Arnold