[Vision2020] Christian Reconstruction and Wilson & Co.

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Wed Jun 8 12:04:59 PDT 2005

Hail to the Vision!

This is a little late in the thread, but I made a note to myself (which I
just now rediscovered) that Peter Leithart, one of the few PhDs at New St.
Andrews College, is very much interested in R. J. Rushdoony, author of The
Institutes of Biblical Law (we must enforce all of them).

Rushdoony is also the Founding Father of Christian Reconstruction, the view
that the US must become, completely and totally, a Christian
nation.  Relax, folks, for Wilson you just have to be baptized, you really
don't have to believe it. Some of you may recall Wilson's quip in the
Lewiston Tribune that the best way to avoid having a Muslim mayor is to
convert everyone to Christianity.  This puts a very nice twist on Wilson's
most recent call for tolerance.

If you look back in the archives of the Daily News (December, 2003) you
will find a letter from Leithart defending Rushdoony against the charge of
being a Holocaust denier.  Amazingly enough, he did admit that he was a
Holocaust minimizer.  In the minds of many Jews, faced with either
prospect, the anxiety level does not go down much.

Speaking of the Jews, I just read a scary "sermonette" by an elder in Steve
Wilkins' Monroe LA church essentially proposing that the only good Jew is a
Christian Jew.  He chides millions of American evangelicals for supporting
Israel, because it is clear, from his reading of the Bible, that the only
true Israel is the Christian nation that he envisions.

You will all recall that Steve Wilkins is Wilson's bosom buddy and will be
coming to Moscow for the Trinity Festival.

Speaking of the Trinity, I remind all visionaries with a interest in
technical theological discussion that the debate on the Trinity (finally
finished) between Doug Jones and yours truly can be found at
www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/trinity.htm.

A Unitarian who really likes nice Trinitarians,

Nick Gier

"The god you worship is the god you deserve."
~~ Joseph Campbell