[Vision2020] Growth at What Cost in Moscow?

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Jun 7 18:52:51 PDT 2005

>From today's (June 7, 2005) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

Just a note:  Commercial land development (that ugly "urban sprawl" that
Dale Courtney refers to) usually translates into a lighter property tax
burden and more jobs, something that would definitely benefit a town like
Moscow, Idaho.

More Importantly:  BEER AND WINE AT "RENDEZVOUS IN THE PARK"!

Growth at what cost in Moscow?

Commercial future of city up for debate

By Alexis Bacharach, Daily News staff writer

The Moscow City Council spent three hours Monday night debating whether the
community can handle a sudden upswing in commercial growth.

The council reviewed requests from the University of Idaho and Moscow
resident Ted Thompson to annex and designate more than 150 acres for
commercial development on the east and west ends of town.

Presently there are only about 15 acres available within city limits for
extensive commercial development

"I'm aware we need to grow commercially," Councilwoman Nancy Chaney said.
"But we are in the process of rewriting the comprehensive plan. Thirty-five
percent of the people (who responded in the latest city survey) said we're
not doing a good job of planning for growth. ...That's not exactly a glowing
report."

The City Council approved Thompson's request to annex and designate 90 acres
south of the cemetery and the Troy highway for commercial development, but
it delayed making a decision on the university's request.

The UI wants to annex and designate a 66-acre piece of its farm property
north of the Palouse Mall for commercial development but has no plans to
immediately halt dairy operations or complete necessary roadway connections.

"One of the major motivations for this is transportation and the completion
of West A Street, which can't be accommodated in this request," Councilman
John Dickinson said. "Saying no to everything doesn't make much sense, but I
wonder about the need for large amounts of commercial space. There are two
proposals on tonight's agenda. By the end of the evening I think there will
probably be sufficient commercial space."

Much of Monday evening's discussion focused on the types of businesses that
might be located on large parcels designated for extensive commercial
development.

Despite Mayor Marshall Comstock's instructions that the City Council
consider only the annexations and land-use designations, community and
council members repeatedly mentioned their concerns about big box stores
such as Wal-Mart and Target.

Moscow resident Aaron Ament said the area doesn't need any more boxes.

"They're just going to roll in here, and there won't be anything you can do
about it," he said.

Chaney agreed it's a bad idea to designate any property for commercial
development until the council adopts a box store ordinance

"I know we aren't talking about development tonight, but we can put the
brakes on tonight," Chaney said. "We're getting there. I know we can't say
no to growth, but we can say how growth happens. Realistically, we're
talking about something major going in there."

Council President JoAnn Mack said it's premature to assume anything about
the types of businesses that may be established at either location.

"We don't have any idea what kind of businesses are going there," she said.
"I think we're getting ahead of ourselves here when we keep assuming
retail."

Moscow real estate agent and developer Shelley Bennett said city officials
need to take action, or all future economic growth is going to happen across
the state line in Washington.

"Whitman County is working diligently to provide services in the corridor,"
she said. "The comprehensive plan states that we must maintain an economy
that provides employment for all Moscow residents."

In other business, Council approved a request for a beer and wine garden at
this year's Rendezvous in the Park.

Cheers, Moscow.

sideways, chocolate in one hand, a drink in the other, body thoroughly used
up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO. What a ride!'"