[Vision2020] First Annual Children's Safety Fair

Jon Kimberling jonk at n-k-ins.com
Sun Jun 5 10:24:00 PDT 2005

Thanks Rose and Keely. Yesterday was a great day. Allow me to clarify and
expand on some of your comments.

I believe everyone I approached about participating in this event jumped on
board without hesitation. That is a testament to the type of community we
live in. Some of the participants that Rose didn't mention include: Staples
and their manager Sharon Plemmons. They created, printed and helped
distribute the colorful flyers all the kids received at school. They also
provided the mini-cds and cases for the digital id. They had three staff
members there the entire time and their assistant manager Seth took most of
the pictures so I could explain to the parents how the M.I.L.K. software
works. The Eastside Marketplace (Vicki and Darlene) donated their facility.
We couldn't have done this without their generosity. Marie Miller, Carl
Wommack and other officers from the Moscow P.D. assisted with the car seat
inspections, bike rodeo and fitting bike helmets. I understand we gave away
close to two hundred helmets. They inspected a ton of child safety seats in
the parking lot area that Vicki and Darlene reserved for them. In addition
to their booth, Gritman Hospital purchased some of the helmets. The
University Inn- Best Western also contributed funds to buy helmets. Members
of the Kiwanis' were there also helping with the helmet fittings.

Earl from Paradise Creek Bikes set up shop next to the bike road. He and his
staff did safety checks on numerous bikes. When he wasn't working on bikes,
he was helping fit bike helmets. Earl also purchased all the smoke alarms
and fire extinguishers that we gave away. Earl will be calling the winners
on Monday to make arrangements to get their prize.

The Latah County Sheriff's Office had a table of goodies and their staff
assisted a number of kids with the fingerprint kits provided by Farmers
Insurance. The North Central Health District was also represented with a
booth of information.

Last but not least, Wayne Fox helped us get the word out by purchasing the
advertisement that ran in the paper on Friday. Thank you Wayne!

This week our office will be mailing the software to all the families that
came Saturday. The software stores all the information law enforcement needs
in the event of a missing child. An email is sent to the National Center on
Missing and Exploited Children(NCMEC). NCMEC then emails it to the 17,600
law enforcement offices across the country to start an amber alert. Our
friends in law enforcement stress that timing is a critical factor in their
success. And when you consider that 2000 children are reported missing every
day, this program has the potential to have a huge impact on this problem.

The statistics show that 40% of parents do not have a current photo of their
children readily available. Additionally, 34% can't tell you their height,
weight and distinguishing features. That is why I intend to continue to
offer the digital id and software at my office any day someone wants to drop
by with their kids. We have also reserved a booth at the Latah County Fair
for this purpose.

Lastly, I believe that what we learned from the 1st Kids Safety Fair can be
a springboard to an even better event next year. I would welcome comments
and ideas as to what else we might include next year. Thanks again to
everyone.

Jon Kimberling