[Vision2020] W. Mark Felt, hero or heel?

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 4 05:07:26 PDT 2005

Andreas you wrote

"The fact that Nixon died a free man in 1994 is one of the great
injustices of our time. So is the fact that the man that brought him
down is being smeared on every news outlet that his co-conspirators
can reach."

You can not possibly be serious.  The fact that Pol Pot did not die in goal
or that Stalin died in his bed, may be one of the biggest injustices, along
with the death of Dr Joeseph Mengele in freedom in Brazil, but are you
suggesting that a cover up of governmental wrong doing is deserving of what
would have been over a 20 year jail term?  Heck we do not give murderers and
rapists that many years in prison in this day and age.

Felt himself broke with his oath of office and broke into the homes of
relatives of Weather Underground people.  The homes he broke into were of
people who were totally innocent of wrong going and not involved in
terrorist activities.  He was convicted and ended up pardoned.  So, he
turned in Nixon for covering up one set of government illegalities but was
up to his hubs in similar activities.  The Hoover and immediate post Hoover
FBI was loaded with that sort of thing, but it does not excuse the guy for
his breeches of Constitutional Civil Liberties, ones that he was sworn to
protect in the oath of office he took in the first place.

If Eichmann killed Hitler, I would have still seen him hanged in Tel Aviv.
I see no difference in the case of Felt, who routinely broke into people's
homes without a warrant, tapped their phones and generally invaded their
privacy and property, yet seems to be getting kudos for having turned
somebody else in for doing the same thing that he did before and after his
episode as Deep Throat.

Phil Nisbet