[Vision2020] Domenstic Benefits?

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 2 09:55:43 PDT 2005

Wayne

You write;

"In actual practice and feelings, it would be hard to describe these
relationships in different terms from that of same sex marriage.  That is
where "equal protection" and fairness comes in."

I agree with you, from my experiance with gay friends who have had solid
relationships or gone through the same turmoil of ending long term
relationships displaying the same hurt that I as a hetrosexual did in
divorce.  My point is that giving special treatment to people of any
relationship is the problem.  Instead of extending extra benefits based on
if the person has a committed relatinship of what ever kind, why not make it
a total level playing field, stop handing out special benefits.  That way,
it does not matter who you are with or if you are single.

My point is that as a single dad raising three sons, I pay more taxes than a
couple who have no kids simply by chosing to not be in a relationship.
Extending the same privelage to gay couples does not change the fact that I
end up paying for chosing not to hitch myself to somebody else.  Add on the
extra ebnefits for health and other policies, the people who chose to be
single are taking one heck of an economic beating.

If sexual preferences have meaning, than you can add other catergories to
include those of us how regardless of what may trip our trigger, chose not
to be committed or to be celebite.  Those of us who chose either uncommited
lifestyles or celebite lifestyles are discriminated against by handing out
benefits to people who chose to have committed relationship at the expense
of the single portion of society.  If we want a nation that is for equality,
we need to stop giving benefits to people simply because they are married.

Thats why I was suggesting as per your;

"Except for curiosity, couples' domestic arrangements and proclivities,
regardless of the gender of the parents, seem not a matter we need be
concerned about except where the partners' and/or children's health/welfare
may be at stake."

that perhaps droping coverages for the adults involved and focusing on the
kids involved is the better plan.  If a gay, lesbian, transgender, celebite,
uncommitted or hetrosexual person working for a firm has kids, give them
benefits to insure that their kids are raised to be productive member of
society.  The adults of what ever orientation can fend for themselves.

Phil