[Vision2020] Domenstic Benefits?

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Thu Jun 2 08:22:20 PDT 2005

Phil writes:

"So I guess I am wondering why it is that simply because two people make a choice to sleep together and live together in some sort of bonded relationship, those of us who have been there and done that and got the
Tshirt, but are not to particularly wanting to do it again any time soon, are expected to pay higher taxes and spring for higher bills for insurance and the rest, simply because somebody else is having a wonderful time of
matrimonial bliss."

Phil, I think that for many same sex couples, their relationship is more than "sleeping together and living together in some sort of bonded relationship."  In actual practice and feelings, it would be hard to describe these relationships in different terms from that of same sex marriage.  That is where "equal protection" and fairness comes in.

As a single person for a number of years, I received these employer provided benefits.  Divorced persons even with children received these benefits.  Many single gay, bisexual, and transgenedered people received the same benefits.  Of course, married persons also received these benefits, except more of them.

Why deny benefits to those that make a choice to share their lives, raise children, etc simply because they chose to do this with a member of the same sex?

It is a question of fairness.

Except for curiosity, couples' domestic arrangements and proclivities, regardless of the gender of the parents, seem not a matter we need be concerned about except where the partners' and/or children's health/welfare may be at stake.  This view is shared not only by "liberals" and some conservatives, but many libertarians also espouse views with the same practical consequences.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com