[Vision2020] Why Doug Wilson might want to whine about wine

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 28 18:46:22 PDT 2005

Dear Visionaries:

Doug Wilson is claiming that the University of Idaho is "caught in the
middle" between Christ Church and "the persecution" of Rose Huskey's
and Saundra Lund's wine service questions.  The UI is caught in the
middle indeed, and why?  Because "in the middle" is just where Doug
wants them.  The University of Idaho is a state institution, and it
must obey state law; hence, Tim White's ruling regarding supervision of
the Kibbie Dome/Christ Church wine service by the UI's contracted
caterer, Sodexho.  Ignoring for the moment that this is a punt on Tim
White's part, Doug Wilson, in choosing to hold his communion service in
the Kibbie Dome has chosen to obey state law.  Or, perhaps he has
chosen to deliberately defy state law, serve alcohol to minors on state
property, and thus invite prosecution.  If he's chosen the latter, then
it won't be Rose and Saundra who prosecute him; it will be the
University of Idaho and Sodexho.  That, I would speculate, is just what
he wants.  That's why he called Dave Johnson at the Trib, and that is
why he has stirred this pot.

It's been pointed out to me that the Rutherford Institute is looking
for a case to take to the Supreme Court, one that will clarify the
ruling in Levitan, Daniel J. versus Ashcroft, John D.  (Look it up.
I'm going to.)  With the appointment of Justice John Roberts, we might
expect to see more cases like this coming before the high court and
rulings that will strengthen the claims of religious institutions to
occupy (or assume control) of what was once considered "secular" space.

Wouldn't Doug Wilson just love to be at the center of a PR storm like
that?  Then, it would no longer be "Local Preacher Claims Persecution"
but "Moscow Minister Takes Communion Fight All The Way To The Supreme
Court."  What a coup!  What a recruiting tool!  What a way to rake in
the donations!

New St. Andrews College needs 150 students just to break even.  They
don't have that.  What they have, as Baldrick says so often on "Black
Adder," is a cunning plan.  Let's hope it works about as well as the
rest of their cunning plans, i.e., that it rains down their manly
beards in tiny, over-reaching, egomaniacal bits.

Mr. Black Thicky Adder Thicky,

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com