[Vision2020] State property, communion wine, and the presence of enemies

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 28 16:46:30 PDT 2005

On Jul 28, 2005, at 3:31 PM, Doug Jones wrote:

> Melynda Huskey wrote on July 28:
>
>> No-one has filed a complaint or injunction against Christ Church
>> which seeks to prevent them from using wine in their communion
>> service.  There is no enemy dangling the key to the wine cellar just
>> out of reach. . . . No-one is interfering in any discernable way with
>> Christ Church's communion.
>>
> Rose Huskey  wrote on June 10:
>
> "The prohibition of alcohol consumption by minors is a method that
> least
> burdens religious practices while protecting the state's compelling
> interest," the women wrote in a June 10 e-mail to the university. (DN,
> 7/28/05)

What you quote, Doug Jones, is an email to the University pointing out
the obvious -- that alcohol consumption by minors is illegal under
state law, and the Kibbie Dome, unlike Logos School, is state-owned
property.  It is not a complaint; it's an observation.  Here's another
observation -- it was Doug Wilson who called Dave Johnson of the
Lewiston Tribune and initiated both this ridiculous non-story and the
ensuing "controversy."  Why?  Well, I think Melynda said it best . . .
because "We're being persecuted" is a better story for Christ Church
than "We don't want to pay our property taxes.  We don't want to obey
the zoning laws.  We want to go on operating un-zoned boarding houses,
pay our Logos School Board members publishing royalties in violation of
the school's 501(c)3 status, and generally continue to conduct our
business as we see fit, well under the legal radar."

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com

PS: If you want to conduct a full-alcohol worship service, then why
conduct it in a state-owned building, thus subjecting yourselves to
state law, which you clearly find oppressive and odious?  If you're
expecting 1500 people, and Logos Field House simply won't hold them all
at once, then why not have two worship services?  That would be two
worship services entirely unmolested by the Sodexho communion cops.  I
have to wonder, do you want to worship Jesus as you see fit or do you
want to flip the bird at the State of Idaho?  You need to make up your
mind.  I suppose you can do both, but the latter certainly cheapens the
former.

This is your fight, Doug and Doug.  It's not Rose's fight, it's not
Saundra's, and, for heaven's sake, it shouldn't be Phil Nisbet's.  Mr.
Nisbet is a very confused man; he seems to be under the impression that
seders are held at the Moscow Skate Park.  The Prophet Elijah, copping
some air time . . . or was that Tony Hawk?