[Vision2020] Father and Son: Citizen Warriors

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Jul 26 06:49:57 PDT 2005

Copied and pasted from the June 20, 2005 edition of Newsweek magazine:

"'It's Just a Different Culture': Contrary to the impression left by
moviemaker Michael Moore in 'Fahrenheit 9/11,' congressmen do sometimes send
their children to war. Three senators and six members of the House have
children in uniform, and four of them have served in Iraq or Afghanistan.
Maj. John Daniel Kline, son of Minnesota Rep. John Kline, is slated to fly
his attack helicopter in Iraq later this year with the 101st Airborne. 'I'm
excited for it,' says Kline, 34, who has been stationed in Tennessee while
the war drags on. 'It's like training for the Super Bowl and not getting to
play.' Kline grew up as an army brat. 'I'm one of those sons who really does
look up to his father.' Congressman Kline, Sr., served in the Army from 1969
to 1994, doing time in Vietnam and Somalia. Congressmen deferentially call
Representative Kline 'Colonel' after his Army rank. He says Congress and the
military are worlds apart. In the military, a person's word is his gold
standard. 'In politics,' Kline says, 'generally speaking, people say, 'Yeah,
you can count on me.' Then somebody else presents something to them and they
change their mind. It's just a different culture.'"

I stand corrected.  My apologies, Ms. Kraut.

Nine representatives and senators out of 537 (100 senators and 437
representatives) have offspring that are, indeed, serving their country.
That equates to 1.7%.  Not exactly something to stand and cheer about, huh?

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
U.S. Army (Retired)
Moscow, Idaho

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime."

--Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.